Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Pavilion dv9000 - should I be worried about HEAT?  (Read 3261 times)

jasonmreece

HP Pavilion dv9000 - should I be worried about HEAT?
« on: June 13, 2007, 12:46:45 PM »
I have a new HP Pavilion dv9339us and I am concerned about how hot part of it gets at times.  In particular, the left 1/3 or so (from mouse pad to left edge) gets hot to the touch almost to the point of being uncomfortable at times.  I do hear the fan kick on sometimes.

I've had it about six weeks and have noticed this from the beginning.  It has a Core 2 Duo T5500 (1.66 GHz/667 FSB) and had DUAL hard drives- a 120 GB and an 80 GB, both 5400 rpm. 

Could the dual drives be part of the cause for the heat?  Do the Core 2 Duo processors tend to generate heat?  I will admit that I have the system set on 'High Performance' with Minimum Processor Speed set at 5% and Maximum at 100%. 

I always use it on a hard surface (desk/table) and make sure there is nothing obscuring the ventilation around it.  I am a little sensitive to this issue because I lost my otherwise reliable Toshiba laptop to heat build-up.  I want to do whatever I reasonably can to ensure the longevity of this new one.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: HP Pavilion dv9000 - should I be worried about HEAT?
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 12:57:43 PM »
    jasonmreece ........ Yes , you should be concerned about excessive heat.
    Before you start having sleepless nights, I would make sure you have some temperature monitoring software installed ........ then record the readings.....and then contact HP ...... and let them tell you if what you are seeing is normal or not, after all it's still under warantee ......so best get it sorted out now .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Brother_B

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 03:30:57 PM »
    If I where you, i would go back to the shop where i bought it and tell them about the problem.
    In sweden where i work as a service tech. at a computerstore, we have a two week DOA time against HP (DOA = dead on arrival), but talk to them about a solution.

If you came to me, i would sent it away to the HP repairshop.

Hope that will satisfy you.

_B

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 05:53:42 PM »
    Welcome Aboard Brother B !
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Brother_B

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 01:02:37 AM »
    Oh thanks Patio.  ;D

jasonmreece: Will you please update us on your problem, tell us your solution so others can learn from you. :)

_B