Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Incorrect path specified  (Read 3713 times)

housecats2002

Incorrect path specified
« on: November 03, 2004, 01:41:37 PM »
Hi.  I deleted a file from my computer (bad!) and the whole system crashed.  (worse!)  So I had to reformat stuff (and I didn't have back ups--worse still).  So now, the few files I did have on a CD-R disk that I've loaded back onto the computer won't delete.

For example, something that I put on my desktop that I want to get rid of... I cannot drag and drop into the Recycle bin.  It says something about "Cannot delete:  incorrect path specified.  Make sure you have the correct path".

I think I understand what this means, but I have NO idea how to fix it.

Advice and fix it tips welcome.
Thank you.

MalikTous

Re: Incorrect path specified
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 03:23:41 PM »
First attempt to find the item in Windows Explorer. You may need to clear Read-only, System, or Hidden attributes before deleting. If it refuses to delete, record the path carefully.

Next, try navigating to that path location in DOS (Win9x or with a FAT32-based NT system and a Win98SE EBD floppy) or in CMD box (WinNT without Win98SE EBD or with NTFS) and use ATTRIB -R -H -S file.typ, then DEL file.typ.

If the item is in a subdirectory you don't want to keep, you can try the DELTREE command with that folder/directory, if you are using FAT32.