Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP to Vista Home Premium Upgrade  (Read 4347 times)

halokid224

Windows XP to Vista Home Premium Upgrade
« on: June 14, 2007, 03:10:47 PM »
I was going to install vista ultimate, but i didn't need all the glamor so im getting Home Premium, before it said my Nvidia drivers (Forceware 93.71) Wouldn't be compatible. Im using a nvidia geforce FX 5200 (yes i know its old im upgrading to a 6200! wow. lol) Anyway. Is there a way to resolve this issue before i upgrade the graphics card? The funny thing is that upgrade advisor said everything was fine and that the 5200 would be recognized

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Windows XP to Vista Home Premium Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 07:48:32 AM »
I was going to install vista ultimate, but i didn't need all the glamor so im getting Home Premium, before it said my Nvidia drivers (Forceware 93.71) Wouldn't be compatible.
Ummm, what is "it"?  Whatever "it" is, "it" seems to contradict upgrade adviser, doesn't it?  Did upgrade adviser say anything else about the video part of your system? Did it specifically mention your video drivers?

halokid224

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 08:07:23 AM »
yeah it only said the video drivers, nothing else

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 08:13:38 AM »
Again, is "it" the upgrade adviser, or is "it" something else?

halokid224

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 08:15:57 AM »
no vista says its checking compatability before it installs, then it says this:

These issues do not prevent your upgrade, but some applications and/or devices might not work once your upgrade completes.

o SCSI and RAID controllers: SCSI/RAID Host Controller

o Microsoft Interactive Training
          o Plus! Digital Media Edition 1.1
          o Windows Messenger 5.1
          o PC-Doctor for Windows
          o MSN Explorer
          o nVidia Display drivers/nView Desktop Manager (NVIDIA Drivers)

I dont even use any of those programs, so they arent important to me. And the SCSI and RAID Controllers: SCSI/RAID Host Controller is related to daemon tools and made to work with windows vista with the current version. so thats a false positive, but my main focus is
      o nVidia Display drivers/nView Desktop Manager (NVIDIA Drivers)
thats the important one
someone on another forum replied with this "You should just install the Vista drivers after the upgrade is complete. Vista will use generic drivers until then.
" is this true? will vista ignore the 93.71 drivers and use the generic ones? if so then i can install it now and have vista by afternoon oh and it does NOT
 say this in upgrade adviser, will anyone bother helping? im starting to go insane from bordem and vista is taunting me to install it, im going to go crazy eventually and install it anyway and destroy my computer if someone wont help  :'(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:09:50 AM by halokid33 »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 09:12:09 AM »
Looks to me like driver version 96.85 is what you need.

halokid224

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 09:14:14 AM »
Okay, the problem is that im still running windows XP.. what do i do about the current drivers while vista is installing itself
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:28:33 AM by halokid33 »

TehGerg

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 10:03:26 AM »
Your upgrade should be fine it will default to a vista generic video driver.  Once you are up and running just grab the newest vista drivers from nvidia.com

soybean

Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 10:31:57 AM »
Your upgrade should be fine it will default to a vista generic video driver.  Once you are up and running just grab the newest vista drivers from nvidia.com
Yep, that's it.

srtony1946

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
    I hate to say this, But Vista sucks. I tried it and could not wait to go back to XP.

lordvader781

Intermediate
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 05:56:22 AM »
      I hate to say this, But Vista sucks. I tried it and could not wait to go back to XP.

I definitely agree.  I set up my sister's new laptop which has Vista.  What a nightmare that was.  I realize it's a new OS and I'm used to XP, but still, it was extremely annoying to use.  It's a major resource hog.  I have no plan of upgrading our desktop to Vista even though it came with the option to upgrade once Vista was released.

TehGerg

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 09:30:22 AM »
      I will defend vista.

Ok it will use any resources it can.  It will also throttle itself.  Such as i run 4 gigs of ram the OS uses 1.5 gigs of ram.  If I run something that needs more ram it takes it from the OS and i don't notice a difference in the way it is running. 

I would not install vista on anything with less then 1 gig of ram and a decent cpu to back it up. 

When XP came out there were driver issues and bugs some which still exist such as taking a hd out of one xp machine and putting it into another one and trying to boot it.  It will blue screen.  Yah the drivers are not very mature yet especially video drivers. 

So be warned that its not all peaches and cream but if you are like me and you have to know how to use and repair vista you go with it.