Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Locking up due to memory  (Read 6525 times)

highmofowalking

Locking up due to memory
« on: June 14, 2007, 01:55:37 PM »
I recently built this computer and after a few headaches with a stick of DDR2 I switched it back to DDR and ordered some more DDR2 thinking the stick was too powerful for the mobo. Caused total computer lock ups, had to hard restart. So I get the new 2x1gig sticks yesterday pop them in same problem. I have messed with the ram timings turning them down and down only seems to prolong the time before a lock up. Bios is updated to max, along with any other driver. Someone told me that a fresh install of windows would fix it but I haven't got around to trying that because my CD is only SP1 takes about a day to get up and running again.

Comp specs:
Mobo: PCChips p23g v3
Vid card: ATI Radeon 9600PRO
Ram: Kingston ValueRAM DDR2 PC-4200 1Gigx2
Processor: Pentium D 3.2ghz

Link to DXDIAG - http://rapidshare.com/files/37229350/DxDiag.txt.html

If you want something else just tell me.

mundesley

Re: Locking up due to memory
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 05:54:51 AM »
Sorry to here about your problems. Sometimes matching memory to a motherboard can be troublesome. I always get mine from here http://www.crucial.com/uk/ as they guarantee compatibility. You can use their selector tool to see what is compatible, and check if what you have is right for your mobo.

It may also be worth trying setting your BIOS to "default settings"  to see if that cures the problem.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 08:39:49 AM »
I see you have Kingston memory in it.  I visited Kingston's website and saw that they do not list PC Chips in the list of manufacturer's in their memory search function.  So, how did you determine which of their memory modules to buy?

highmofowalking

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 11:14:48 AM »
Motherboard compatibility DDR2 PC-4200 is the same on all systems isn't it? I have it running after turning it down to 400mhz, I think the bandwidth is capped at 260, and it was going over that. So I will have to tweak it some more to bring it back up to 533. 

TehGerg

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 11:25:46 AM »
I had a similar problem with my buffalo firestix it turned out to be the memory voltage.  The voltage was to low to actually do anything other then getting into the bios.  I dont remember what voltage i have it at now but it is the voltage recommended by buffalo.  I ended up replacing my mobo because my intel mobo would not take a voltage bump large enough for the ram.  I built a bios for it with the correct memory voltage flashed the board and killed it in the process.  So i got a nice asus board now with the correct memory timings and voltage. 

Memory is also never realy too fast for a mobo.  The mobo might not be able to use the full speed of it but memory will always downclock itself to a speed that the motherboard can handle.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 11:35:15 AM »
Motherboard compatibility DDR2 PC-4200 is the same on all systems isn't it?
No.  Why do you think memory sites such as Kingston and Crucial list different brands of motherboards?

I have it running after turning it down to 400mhz, I think the bandwidth is capped at 260, and it was going over that. So I will have to tweak it some more to bring it back up to 533. 
I get the impression there's too much tampering going on, here.  Might be a good idea to go back to default settings?  If it doesn't work at default settings, I'd take that as an indication you don't have the right memory.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 11:40:24 AM »
I built a bios for it
Hmmm, you can build a BIOS.   :o

TehGerg

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:41:03 AM »
well intel has a program that you can use to modify a bios... .so i didn't build it i modified it :)

highmofowalking

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 11:48:01 PM »
What I mean to say is the voltage is the same, the timing should be compatible and it supports 2 sticks of ddr2 533.. and the whole too much tinkering, well the only tinkering that is going on is changing the DRAM timing to manual instead of auto, along with down clocking the ram to DDR2 400 because thats the only thing that seems to be working with it.  The whole thing about the bandwidth being over came about because I ram cpu-z to check that the ram was being found by the computer right, and in cpu-z it says under speed Max Bandwidth PC2-4300 (266mhz).

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 08:08:09 AM »
Your MBoard

Order a SP2 CD

If PCChips page was running properly i would have researched this further...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 03:51:39 AM »
I get the impression there's too much tampering going on, here.  Might be a good idea to go back to default settings?  If it doesn't work at default settings, I'd take that as an indication you don't have the right memory.

This is the correct place to start.