Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sharing files between PC and Laptop - still need help!  (Read 3414 times)

catchlou

Sharing files between PC and Laptop - still need help!
« on: June 17, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Hi, I still need help figuring out how to link my laptop to my PC in order to share the files on the PC. Both systems are WIndows XP. I have been through the Help & Support (Windows) and can someone confirm whether I need a network adaptor to connect the two?  I thought I could just use the laptop Ethernet cable and plug into the hard drive of the PC.  And after that I can't figure out what to do? If someone can give step by step instructions, it would be much appreciated!!

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Sharing files between PC and Laptop - still need help!
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 01:16:24 AM »
    catchlou ..... Why dont you just network the 2 machines and enable file sharing ?
    Use the Network Setup wizard ....... look in the control panel.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:45:48 AM »
    First off, you will either need a network router, switch, or a crossover cable
    Plug each of your computers into the router or switch, or just plug in the crossover cable into both computers.
    From there, you will want to run the network setup wizard on each computer. Open the control panel, click on Network and Internet Connections, then Network Setup Wizard. Follow the instructions and you should be good to go. Just make sure you do the exact same thing on each computer.
    If you have more problems, post them, or click here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000469.htm

dslgeek

Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 08:27:56 PM »
      He could also use a USB device that will allow two computers to do basic file share. Or even a serial cable, but that is veryslow. The crossover cable is the best way if he does not want to buy a hum or router. ;D