Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with power supply.. Very strange...  (Read 2968 times)

Eppinizer

Topic Starter

Rookie

Problem with power supply.. Very strange...
    « on: June 17, 2007, 08:30:21 PM »
    Hi, i am having some strange issues with my power supply/motherboard. This is a new build, and i just installed the motherboard, (actually I used to have everything installed but ive been having a bunch of problems, and i have never got any video, or sign that anything is working.) the power supply and CPU. When I have the power supply set to 115w, the computer just turns on, and then shuts off imidiatly. I have tried this with 2 different power supplys. When it is set to the 230w, everything stays on, but i cant get anything to work. I have yet to get any beeps, or any video, i have tried 2 different video cards, that is on 230 setting. When i have it on 115, again it just turns on then off right away. Im hoping that this isnt a problem with the motherboard. The power supply is a 500w, so i know it has enough power(and even if it was 350w, i just have it plugged into the motherboard and thats it..) i just need to get this to work, because I never had this problem before, and im building it for a friend, with his money :X
    If anyone can help, it would be appreciated! thanks a lot to whoever helps me!(if any one can lol -_-)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Problem with power supply.. Very strange...
    « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 08:43:03 PM »
    Are you in the U.S.?  If so, why would you set the power supply for 230V (it's volts, not watts)? 

Eppinizer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:52:35 PM »
      because i was being retarded.. i was missing a standoff, so at 115, it shorted, for some reason at 230, it didnt short. Thank god my motherboard still works! Im going to have to be more careful next time.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:40:49 AM »
        I'd have to say you're treading on awful thin ice running a motherboard on 230v.  Sooner or later (probably sooner) that board is going to fail and your friend isn't going to be very happy with you.  :-[

I'd replace both the motherboard and power supply to be on the safe side.

In my experience of building computers (I've built hundreds) if you have a problem this soon in the build you're only bound to have more.

Alan <><  :D
        I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 01:16:21 PM »
        Standoffs are like M & M's...walk into any computer store and they'll give you a handfull if you ask...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 01:37:18 PM »
        You seem very reckless, especially for a first build. When a person slams it all together and it doesn't work, it can be very difficult to track down the problem.

Do a google search for "bench test" to prevent further episodes like this.

If you are perfectly willing to flip that power switch between 115 and 220 without understanding what you are doing, I predict you will have MANY problems.  ::)