Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: accessing files  (Read 3603 times)

overmind

Topic Starter

Beginner

accessing files
    « on: June 23, 2007, 02:02:12 PM »
    Hi, I recently changed computers and wanted to connect my old hard drive to my new computer in order to copy over the data stored on it. This is after the old computer crashed and refused to load windows; now I have successfuly conected the hard drive to the new computer, but while I can get access to all the file located on the hard drive, I cannot access any files located in the My Documents directry. I have tried to change the access rights to the files, but this has not helped. Also, the hard drive was passworded and as yet it has not asked me to enter a password to copy files from other directories.
    So simply, is it possible for me to access these files?

The old computer was running windows xp service pack 2 while the new runs windows vista ultimate. I am listed as the administrater on both drives. (will post back later when I can get into the computer to list model specs for the hard drives, if needed)

Also, a side question; why is it that certian directories in vista prevent me, even though I am the administrator, from accessing them? (things listed as hidden in the C drive mainly)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: accessing files
    « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 02:17:29 PM »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "