Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: possibly the most confusing problem ever  (Read 6667 times)

kickenchicken

possibly the most confusing problem ever
« on: June 21, 2007, 05:37:37 PM »
Ok so, this problem is possibly one of the worste ive ever faced, im using three other forums and it would take DAYS to type all the the help ive recieved. id really appreciate it if you could read over the threads. to get to the basic, my comp freezes when trying to use a certain program and the hdd shuts down, this happened also with my old hdd which ihad to replace, just got a new one today and it did the same thing when trying to activate windows or use IE6. Ive done a windows reinstall TONS of times, did a Mobo and RAM check with the Hirens boot cd, it all came back fine, i know its not the hdd because its brand new and it does the same thing, when its a fresh boot like in the morning i have to restart like 4 times to get it to boot the second load screen of Xp. thought it was a RAM issue but the tests came back fine thanks, there are the two, one at Neowin.net and the other at epiZENter.net off topic forum.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=566824&st=0

http://www.epizenter.net/e107_plugin...c.php?113219.0

you have to read through all those pages though to get an understanding. i realllly need help and im desperate, i just bought this hdd, well my mom did, shes gonna be mad to find out that it was useless to buy if it it still does the same thing

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: possibly the most confusing problem ever
    « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 06:00:29 PM »
    The links go to nowhere  ???

Have you tried another power supply?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

kickenchicken

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
      « Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 09:59:37 AM »
      can you tell us more please ?
      what motherboard?
      what operating system?
      I agree it sounds like a failing power supply, can you see what the wattage it is, most newish computers require at least 500w,  but new motherboards with SLi will be coming up to 700 w to allow best performance from large hard drives and more powerful directx 10 graphics cards.
      Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

kickenchicken

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 01:01:16 PM »
      yeah sure, Windows XP Home SP2, Abit KG7, Nvidia Graphics Blaster TNT, Okia420ATX 420watts. Western Digital 160gig 8mb cache 7200 rpm drive.
      i know its not the hdd because its BRAND New, just installed it yesterday, i think my old drive still works, just that Windows doesnt want to load right, i already check the ram with MEMtest, what else could be wrong? i already checked the MOBO's capacitors and they are all fine none look like they want to blow up, gosh, i hate computers.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 03:47:14 PM »
      What have you tried from 5 pages of advice from Forum 1 and 3 pages from the other one ? ?

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

kickenchicken

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 03:56:43 PM »
      everything basically, new hdd, removed all cards, except graphics, and windows still didnt boot right. installed them all back in, i did a mem test, a mobo test, switched back and forth between both hard drives, both work perfectly, well my new one works better. anything else? i was thinking RAM but everything came back fine with MEM test and other memory testing, nothing bad either when installing windows. all the files loaded fine. can a PSU really cause these symptoms where running some programs locks up the comp? and windows only booting halfway even on a new hdd, and reform mated with windows reinstall?

kickenchicken

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 04:10:46 PM »
      wait, the last thing i really never tried was a new PSU and new RAM and video card. but the ram and video card work fine. im just stumped and thinking and thinking, can the PSU cause windows to load only half way and then shutdown? would a system stress test work? like using Hirens Boot Cd.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 05:28:13 PM »
      Your better off just borrowing a known working PSU of the same or greater wattage and swapping it in there for 24 hours or so.

This should have been attempted awhile ago.

BTW have you ran MemTest on those sticks of RAM yet ? ?

kickenchicken

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 05:46:20 PM »
      yes i have, three times just to be sure and it comes back good.

i DONT have another PSU lying around, and do know anyone with one. thats why im trying to get to the source and eliminate every other possibility, if its the psu, then ill buy one.

kickenchicken

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 06:55:06 PM »
      ok, i just thought of something, i think i remeber checking the BIOS yesterday for power usage or somethin on the 12V i think it said 12.18 or something like that. ill checkt the volts.

i also checked something out on the Windows even log from tuesday, this is with my older hdd which i though was failing.
      The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

another error that same day

The device 'HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B' (IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_CD-RW_GCE-8481B________________1.05____\5&333218cc&0&0.0.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

same day
      An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0002E30F2BC0. The following error occurred:
      The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

kickenchicken

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 07:39:05 PM »
      dont know if i forgot go to this in here but also while playing on line games is when this happened more frequently, the computer didnt lock up instead the hdd just would shut down and boot up again, most of the time after it finished booting up the comp would then lock up.

kickenchicken

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 08:46:50 PM »
      went into PC health Status:
      CPU Temp: 30*C/100*F
      System Temp: 30*C/86*F

Chassis Fanspeed (Fan1) 2730 rpm, (fluctuates by a few values)
      CPU Fanspeed (fan4) 0 RPM (always been like this, CPU fan is spinning normally)

this is where things get interesting, doesnt seem normal to me, not sure

Vcore:     1.66V
      3.3V:     3.54V
      5V:     4.95V
      12V:   12.42

so im not sure, but isnt that a little high for the 3.3 and 12v one? i have no clue what this stuff means but doesnt seem normal to me  ???

Sorry about all these posts guys, i just cant afford to buy something else only to find out it wasnt the issue, kind of like hdd which im going to keep either way, since my old one already was showing signs of death, (power saw sounds) and i already feel bad that my mom spend money on it, and ill feel even worse when she buys a psu to see that its no the issue :(
      « Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:22:54 PM by kickenchicken »

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 09:30:59 PM »
      Your better off just borrowing a known working PSU of the same or greater wattage and swapping it in there for 24 hours or so.

This should have been attempted awhile ago.

BTW have you ran MemTest on those sticks of RAM yet ? ?

There's no one you know that has an up to date working computer ? ?

Are you in Nome Alaska or the outback of Australia ? ?

kickenchicken

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 09:34:56 PM »
      what am i supposed to do? ask if i can borrow their PSU? They'd look at me like if i had a third eye.  ???

annaintx

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2007, 05:50:33 AM »
      I have had this problem before and the fan on the power supply was out.  Installed a new fan and all was good. 

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 09:48:20 AM »
      what am i supposed to do? ask if i can borrow their PSU? They'd look at me like if i had a third eye.  ???

It works for me...there are people who can go a few days without a computer. Or others who may have more than one... Or what about at school...do they have a Computer lab ? ?

Sometimes solutions take a bit of creativity...

kickenchicken

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 11:24:21 AM »
      heh, id highly doubt ANY of my friends or neighbors would let me borrow one. my school does but were out of school. and my old school used macs so, that would be a nono.

the PSU's fan seems fine, does seem a bit low though.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 01:49:35 PM »
      You're on your own then....

Best of Luck to you.

kickenchicken

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 02:08:21 PM »
      ah well thanks anyways, heres a bootlog file just to see, someone told me on another forum to do this. i still havent recieved a reply from the comp guy to see if he can test my psu
      ntbtlog.txt
      right click and save as

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 02:22:46 PM »
      Including the other Forums this is now 10 pages of advice and suggestions...if you cannot borrow a PSU just go buy one.

But don't get the $20.00 model...

kickenchicken

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2007, 02:41:25 PM »
      heh im thinking of getting the Thermaltike or something one, seems to have some great reviews and its 39 dollars.

kickenchicken

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 02:55:41 PM »
      ok, something reallly weird just happened, i decided id try to connect BOTH of my hard drives at teh same time and run my new one as boot one, one doesnt have a jumper and the new one is set to CS (cable select) anyway, once i booted up, both drives started up, but then i see that the Bios doesnt detect either one!!! so i shut of the comp and try again, still nothing, i unplug the old one and wala, it worked. so maybe it isnt a PSU failure after all, but a mobo issue? i also got an idea, what about the IDE cable? could that be it? mine seems to be pretty crimpled up.