Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse is not working  (Read 2833 times)

sevren

Mouse is not working
« on: July 04, 2007, 02:00:57 PM »
Hello, I have an older computer purchased in 1998 and using Windows 98 that is not detecting my mouse.

It seems that my computer will not even boot up because of it.  It gets hung up at the Microsoft Windows 98 logo screen and doesn't go any further.  When I simply force it to shut down and boot it up again, I receive a choice on a few different boot methods.  This is after the diagnostic that runs because of the improper shut down.

When I enter safe mode I receive a pop up window telling me that there is no mouse connected and that I can safely connect a serial mouse at this time.  I then unplug and replug the mouse back into what seems to be the only place it can go.  It still doesn't work.  I restart my computer by navigating with the keyboard, but that simply begins the ordeal all over again.

Is there anyone that knows how to fix this problem?

Thanks

contrex

Re: Mouse is not working
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 02:10:28 PM »
Wow! a 9 year old PC!! That must be a record! try a different mouse? Possibly your mouse is broken, although with hardware that old it could be the motherboard. Maybe you could sell it to a museum.

I expect it is a serial mouse if it is that old (the plug has 9 pins)

sevren

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 02:28:57 PM »
I have three different ones that I've tried.  One was the original serial mouse that came with the PC.  That one stopped working a long time ago and I assume it's broken.  I have another serial mouse that someone gave to me and that one worked without any complications.  I also have a new mouse for a different computer that uses a USB type cable.  That one works too, although the computer had to install or update something for it to function.

It was all working fine up until yesterday when I had run the system restore feature.  So I dunno if that has anything to do with it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 04:41:47 PM »
Time for a new mouse...i highly recommend PS2 connectors since if Windows acts up a USB mouse is worthless.
Logitech make the sturdiest meece in my experience...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sevren

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 08:08:42 PM »
I've obtained a Logitech mouse with a PS2 connector from a friend.

There was no difference after plugging it in and trying to use it on my old computer.

I also tested it on my newer one and it worked fine, so I assume the problem lies within the computer itself?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 05:27:33 AM »
Do you get any beeps at startup at all...or error messages ? ?

You could try replacing the CMOS battery...bout the size of a dime on the motherboard...part # CR2032 available anywhere practically.

As always when working inside the case remove all power sources and take anti-static precautions.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "