Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Word and capitalisation  (Read 2518 times)

sirathol

Word and capitalisation
« on: June 23, 2007, 07:42:31 AM »
This silly little problem is driving me nuts and I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to deal with it.

I am using MS Word on XP with an MS modern keyboard and the problem is that the program does not like me using capitals in the middle of a sentence. I take great care to depress the shift key and hold it down whilst typing...I expect the result to be a Capital letter, but it frequently isn't...I have to try two or three times to persuade it that this is what I want.

I have tried changing every setting I can find, but to no avail. This is the second keyboard I have had doing it so it is not a "Key" problem. What do I have to do to persuade Word that I know when I want a capital.

Cheers...Doug

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Word and capitalisation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 09:09:05 AM »
Using Word 2003 here and can't duplicate the problem.  Yes, Word marks a word started with a capital letter in mid-sentence as a misspelled word but it still lets me type it.  It accepts the typing without me having to repeat the keystrokes, as you are having to do.

What settings were you trying, ones under Tools, Options, under Tools, AutoCorrect Options, both of those, or something else?

sirathol

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 09:43:35 AM »
Hi, over the past few months I have tried every setting I can find...so many I can't remember! Word settings I am using at the moment suggest corrections by underlining in red - as normal - but the capitalisation "corrections" are carried out without consultation.

I am writing a novel at the moment and constantly having to go back and insert capitals where I want them is driving me insane. I should say that my understanding of computer programs is minimal.

Doug

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 01:30:47 PM »
With reference to Word 2003, if I go to Tools, Options, Spelling & Grammar, and clear the box for "Check grammar as you type", Word lets me type any number of capital letters within a sentence.  Of course, the downside to this is that Word is not checking grammar in any way.

Have tried the above setting?

sirathol

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 03:23:41 AM »
Hi...no I hadn't actually tried that because I do find the normal spell and grammar checkers very useful...but I am off to give it a go right now. Thank you.

sirathol

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 03:30:25 AM »
Just been and checked my "Word" settings..."Check grammar as you type" was already cleared...I think I am just going to have to accept the fact and learn to live with it.

Thanks for trying...Regards...Doug

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 05:06:44 AM »
I can't think of any words with a capital letter in the middle.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 10:12:32 AM »
In case your normal.dot file is possibly corrupt, you might try this procedure for fixing Word's normal.dot file.  See http://www.elamb.org/howto/normal-dot.htm