Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Deleted Startup files - Can't log in ????  (Read 2438 times)

Watson

Deleted Startup files - Can't log in ????
« on: June 24, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »
I was trying to clean up my computer and make it run faster.   I was in Norton CleanUp and was cleaning up the Start Up menu taking off the things that did not have to open up each time I logged in(ex. Kodak photo program).  Well evidently I unchecked something major.  Now the computer will get to the login page,  I login and type my password,  it goes thru the motions even shows me my desktop and then logs off automatically in about 2 seconds.  Doesn't even load my icons.  Goes back to the login page.

I am running a Dell Dimension with XP professional (system is about 3 yrs old).  The Norton was just renewed last month. 

I was reading the help book that came with the computer - I opened the CPU and removed the 2 prong password switch.  Still requires me to login!

I have called Norton help desk - bunch of idiots (worse than me)  couldn't help me other than have me use the F8 key during booting and try the safe mode. (still have to go thru the login with the same results)  Their program allowed me to make this mess - you would thing that it would have asked me "are you sure you want to delete this?"  but it didn't

I know just enough to be dangerous.  20 years ago I was fluent with dos even did some programming.  But things have changed - not me!

I was wondering if there was some way to fix this through DOS? 
Any help would be appreciated. 

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
    Re: Deleted Startup files - Can't log in ????
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 02:21:53 AM »
    Yes you can try to type SFC /SCANNOW and CHKDSK /X /F in the dos screen.
    That should help.
    Let us know how it turned out.

Jonas ;)

Watson

Re: Deleted Startup files - Can't log in ????
    « Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »
    Just for your information - I finally figured it out!

I found some help on the microsoft.com support website under article #307545
    "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting."