Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ahhhh! Please help. Serious XP SP2 problem!  (Read 2526 times)

Draken

Ahhhh! Please help. Serious XP SP2 problem!
« on: June 20, 2007, 06:47:21 AM »
Please somebody help!

I am running SP1 for XP Pro, and have been 4 some time. AFTER installation of SP2 (which installs without error) the following things happen immediatly after installation and restart:

-The taskbar disappears.

-All network connections disappear and no new ones can be created (however connections still appear in internet explorer)

-My computer responds as if it has no soundcard (displaying error messages that all lead to that conclusion, however device manager shows that the card is present and working correctly)

-Boot time is increased drastically

-Various other small bugs appear

Installation from the internet and from CD produce the same results. I dont want to format the drive, my PC is completely error free (completely!! -as in not even the occasional freeze, a rarity for microsoft indeed) and has been for over a year.

Also, THE PROBLEM IS NOT BIOS RELATED.

I would really really appriciate some help here. Its driving me insane. Great thanks to anybody who can solve this!

(I ran into this problem a while ago and only saw it as annoying, but now I *NEED* SP2 so I can run a few new programs that require it).

beanhead07

Hopeful
    Re: Ahhhh! Please help. Serious XP SP2 problem!
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:35:07 PM »
    Do you think maybe the service pack got corrupted somehow? Have you tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it?
    If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 01:14:48 PM »
      Draken ..... Several questions which require answers......
      Is your XP Pro /SP1 a authentic MicroSoft issue and duly licensed to you for that machine or is it a copy?
      Installation from the internet and from CD produce the same results.
      When you say installation from the internet, do you mean from MicroSofts update site or from somewhere else?
      The CD you are using to install SP2 ........Did you order it directly from MicroSoft ?
      Assuming your XP pro SP1 is authentic and your SP2 was mailed to you from MicroSoft, why haven't you phoned them ?

We await your reply.

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Draken

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 01:27:37 AM »
      Yes I installed SP2 directly from microsoft, however the CD was a friends. I dont know where he got it, but it was used AFTER the downloaded attempt. Microsoft suggest I format my PC, but i really dont want to do that. I have the most stable operating system I have ever experienced...except for SP2 problems. Any more suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 01:34:49 AM »
        Draken..... For some reason, you are avoiding answering my questions.....
        So I will end my session with this .............. Follow MicroSoft's advice and format the machine and if you are able to install sp2, it will be even more stable.

dl65  ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Draken

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 01:27:17 AM »
        I have infact answered your questions. I get the feeling that u think I have an illegal copy of windows, however this is not the case. I have followed microsoft's advice and have formatted my PC. SP2 appears to work perfectly now, however, as i feared, my system is more unstable: I have had a few freezes and non-responsive programs in the last week... Well that's life I guess. At any rate, thankyou for your concern.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 02:18:39 PM »
        Draken,

We ask because many times we will spend 2 or 3 days assisting only to find that the real issue is a non-legit installation that cannot be properly updated etc. etc.
        It is by no means meant to offend, we just as a Help Forum happen to see it frequently.
        Nothing personal at all.

On to your machine.
        You stated you did a fresh re-install of XP along with SP2 but are still experiencing some issues ? ?
        Freezes and non responding programs can have many causes.

Post as much info about the hardware involved and also what programs you are running for protection and we'll do our best to get this sorted for you.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TehGerg

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 02:26:20 PM »
        I wonder if the factor that is common wouldn't be a driver of some kind.  Are you grabbing all of the newest drivers for your hardware?