Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Specific Power Supply Question  (Read 2320 times)

gogogoomango

Specific Power Supply Question
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:27:18 PM »
  I know there are quite a few power supply questions on this forum but I think mine needs specific attention. I have 2 hard drives running 512 gigs of memory. A DVD drive, dual core processor, 320 MB Nvidia e-Geforce 8800 graphics card, 2 gigs of RAM. I use a 450 watt power supply but it seems the performance I get out of games is mediocre. With 45 fps in Counter Strike Source and just get inconsistent performance in any game including The Sims 2, Battlefield 2, Medieval 2 Total war, Age of Empires 3, Quake etc.. I asked my dad, who is an old school computer builder , tells me anything more is unnecessary.  I tried doing research on my own and this is the first time I actually asked my question to anyone else.

Do I need a larger power supply? Any suggestions at all?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Specific Power Supply Question
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »
    gogogoomango .......
      I know there are quite a few power supply questions on this forum but I think mine needs specific attention.

...... and you say that because ........?  Everyone who comes here is looking for specific attention for their issue........ LOL

I use a 450 watt power supply but it seems the performance I get out of games is mediocre. With 45 fps in Counter Strike Source and rarely 60 fps in any game.

If you want to do a calculation as to the psu required, go this site and do the calculation... http://carpc.kyferez.com/Tools/PSUWattageCalculator.php

Which processor are you using ?
    What type of ram do you have installed ?
    Is your PSU a 450 watt bargin basement PSU or a good high quality 450 watt PSU ?   
    dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

contrex

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 03:14:07 AM »
    Your power supply will ***not*** affect the speed of your games. The type and speed of your RAM, motherboard chipset, display resolution and driver update state and settings, are the sort of thing you should be looking at.

A Nvidia 8880 GTX review I just read gave fps figures of

Quake 4

average 44 fps (1920 x 1200, SMP support, 8x AA and sat all other details and effects to max.)

average 57 fps (used the NVIDIA control panel for the 8800 GTX to dial in 4x AA and 16x AF with all other settings the same)

And I see this regarding 8800 performance including low fps

"The problem is known by nvidia.

Half-Life 2 Lost Coast: GeForce 8800 GTX fog looks different than
    GeForce 7900 GTX fog, and dynamic shadows look solid black.
    The GeForce 8800 GTX image quality matches the Microsoft Reference
    Rasterizer. This issue may affect other Half-Life 2 based engines such as
    Counter-Strike Source and Half-Life Episode 1. NVIDIA is working with the
    application developer to try to patch their application."

Maybe you should check for updated drivers and /or game patches?

gogogoomango

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 08:41:28 AM »
    Your power supply will ***not*** affect the speed of your games. The type and speed of your RAM, motherboard chipset, display resolution and driver update state and settings, are the sort of thing you should be looking at.

A Nvidia 8880 GTX review I just read gave fps figures of

Quake 4

average 44 fps (1920 x 1200, SMP support, 8x AA and sat all other details and effects to max.)

average 57 fps (used the NVIDIA control panel for the 8800 GTX to dial in 4x AA and 16x AF with all other settings the same)

And I see this regarding 8800 performance including low fps

"The problem is known by nvidia.

Half-Life 2 Lost Coast: GeForce 8800 GTX fog looks different than
    GeForce 7900 GTX fog, and dynamic shadows look solid black.
    The GeForce 8800 GTX image quality matches the Microsoft Reference
    Rasterizer. This issue may affect other Half-Life 2 based engines such as
    Counter-Strike Source and Half-Life Episode 1. NVIDIA is working with the
    application developer to try to patch their application."

Maybe you should check for updated drivers and /or game patches?

This help alot.  I run a hi-res monitor at 1440 x 900 and get about Identical performance out of Quake 4. Just about everything you said sounds about right. I guess I just wanted to know if my performance what what I should be expecting. I installed the driver that was released may 16 and that helped a little. But I'll be waiting for more news.

Thanks.