Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problems installing a second hard drive  (Read 2243 times)

sinisthesia

problems installing a second hard drive
« on: June 27, 2007, 03:11:15 PM »
Here's the setup: primary master and slave are optical devices. I have my original IDE HDD set up as secondary master. I installed a second IDE hard disk as a slave. This disk came from another computer with the same setup, so I know it works. When I boot my pc, it stops at the ASUS motherboard bios screen, unless I enter the BIOS menu. While the BIOS is booting, it doesn't detect the new slave and SMART reports that my master drive is bad. I've checked both drives out and they work. When the slave isn't plugged in the master SMART status is ok, and the slave works in the pc it came from. Help please?

Also I'm not completely sure of the jumper settings. It worked as a slave previously, so I assumed it is set properly. Might that not be the case?

The Saviour

Re: problems installing a second hard drive
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 03:30:20 PM »
Try setting the jumpers on both drives using the jumpers for cable select to see if this works for ya.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: problems installing a second hard drive
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 05:07:56 PM »
Hard drives should be Primary devices...you are just allowing the BIOS to confuse Windows this way...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "