Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I uninstall extra audio drivers?  (Read 6500 times)

Theresa Marie

How do I uninstall extra audio drivers?
« on: June 27, 2007, 08:20:57 AM »
After I reformatted my laptop, my sound stopped working. It would play the "beep" that a person usually gets when an error occurs, but no other sound, such as music. I asked my brother to try and fix it, as he knows a lot more about computers than me. Unfortunately, he could not fix it, and ended up installing extra audio hardware. I do not want to ask him to try and uninstall the drivers because I am scared that he'll make it worse. Currently, my Sound, Video, and Game Controllers section of device manager looks like this.

When I clicked on the properties for the first (starting from the top) Audio Codecs, it looks like this.

The second Audio Codecs looks like this.

The first two Legacy Audio Drivers look like this.

The only thing different with the the second Legacy Audio Drivers is that instead of ROOT/MEDIA/0000, it is ROOT/MEDIA/0002 in the details section. And finally, the the third Legacy Audio Drivers looks like this.

Can anyone please help me with this? And if anyone is able to, can someone tell me how to fix my sound? Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I may be able to provide more information about my problem, but please be patient with me. I know almost nothing about computers so I may not understand what kind of information is needed.

The Saviour

Re: How do I uninstall extra audio drivers?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 09:27:01 AM »
You can remove extra audio drivers by simply right-clicking on them in Device Manager and select "Remove".

The best thing for you to do would be to visit your laptop manufacturer's website for drivers as they pertain to your particular model.

Please keep us posted...

Theresa Marie

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 12:02:09 PM »
Unfortunately, the only options I get when I right click are:

-Update Driver
-Scan For Hardware Changes
-Properties

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 01:22:04 PM »
Have you gone to your manufacturer's website for an updated driver for your laptop?

Theresa Marie

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 01:51:38 PM »
No, not yet. Will that make it possible for me to uninstall the drivers?

The Saviour

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 01:59:44 PM »
Somewhere along the line, when you di the recovery for your laptop...there may have been additional software installed that's responsible for the extra drivers.

Leaving those drivers will not harm anything.  The trick is to install the correct drivers for the sound device installed on your laptop.

When you reformatted and installed the operating system, was it done from a recovery cd or just simply using a Windows CD?

If you were using recovery software from your manufacturer, the correct drivers, should have been installed.  If not, and using the Windows operating system CD, the correct drivers may or may not be installed...either way, the correct drivers may not be installed.

Do me a favor...just let me know the make and model of your laptop and I will locate the correct sound driver for you.

Theresa Marie

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 02:20:21 PM »
Thank you for your help. My laptop is an HP Pavilion dv2000.

The Saviour

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 02:30:29 PM »
Go here:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_pagetype=s-002&h_query=Pavillion+dv2000&submit.x=8&submit.y=4

There are three different models for your laptop.  Choose the correct one.  Choose your operating system.  Make sure you know whether or not your laptop uses a Pentium or AMD processor before choosing the correct audio driver.  Follow the manufacturer's directions for downloading and installing the driver for your laptop.

Good luck!  Let us know how it works out.

Theresa Marie

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 03:21:02 PM »
Thank you so much! I have sound now! The extra drivers are kind of bothering me, but I can deal. I'm just so happy I finally have sound again! Thank you again!!!

The Saviour

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 03:25:31 PM »
You're welcome, Theresa...

Don't worry about those extra drivers...

I was glad I could help...take care and come back soon.