Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "Are you sure you want to move this file" ??????  (Read 5781 times)

Jeff in Kabul

"Are you sure you want to move this file" ??????
« on: July 01, 2007, 05:21:02 AM »
I occasionally have a chance to move large numbers of files and folders from one dirve to another using both 2k3sp2 and XP pro sp2. Both of these systems, when using the Move utility will start and run for as long as I'm watching. About the same time I decide that I'm not going to stare at the monitor for the next 4 hours whatching folders flip by and leave, everything stops and a window pops up stating "The following file "thumbs.sys" is a system file. Are you sure you want to move this file?" When I return 4 hours later expecting all the files to have moved only to find that without an answer nothing else got done. I answer to the afermative and depart again only to have it stop and quiry "The following file is Read Only, "whatever.xxx." Are you sure you want to move it?" Once again I answer yes, take off for the rest of the day, come back tomorrow and have been again asked "The following file has an R in its name "R.txt." Are you sure you want to move it?"

My question is - How do I make it so my systems are smart enough to know that I'll occasionally hit the "Delete" key accidently and have it ask "Are you sure" but when I'm moving 60 gigs of files don't stop in the middle and ask "This one, too?"

Acceptable woud be to have it save all the stupid questions until the end. Move every thing there is not question about, then ask about those last four or five files at the very end.

How do I make that happen without having to resort to Robocopy every time I want to move something?

The Saviour

Re: "Are you sure you want to move this file" ??????
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 05:50:11 AM »
Is there a "Yes to all" option when moving files?  IF so...you may want to use it...but you probably knew that already.

contrex

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 06:22:14 AM »
Maybe you should check out the XCopy command.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 08:30:46 AM »
Moving system files around can create havoc...but i agree with Contrex. If you must do this then use XCopy.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "