Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my computer is slowly dying piece by piece  (Read 3348 times)

frankyrydell

my computer is slowly dying piece by piece
« on: June 28, 2007, 03:50:28 PM »
Hello, I began having this problem when I decided to install more ram (the actual ram that came with the pc) because i wanted to try to speed it up. First thing that happened is I got a runtime error, followed by the computer shutting down never to get past the windows main screen with non stop scrolling. Then it restarted and I got the cannot boot insert boot disk message. I did this, the computer then told me that there was no hard drive in the system to load on. Cleaned up the inners and made sure all cables were connected properly. Tried to start again, got the same boot message. Looked at some other forum last night, saw things about jumpers. Tried to research that, heard of them, but did not know what they were. couldnt find one thing about them or what to do with them if I did find them. I came across some post that said if unable to locate jumpers another thing to do is take out the battery off the motherboard for 5 minutes and replace, then restart. Did that, now all that fires up is the power supply nothing on the motherboard including processor and fans. So now nothing is functioning, well except the power supply. very confused and don't know what to do now. here are the specs and such:

-Micron millenia
-AMD Athlon 1.2
-20 GB seagate master HD
-250 GB ..... Slave HD
-512 MB DDR elixer RAM
-nvidia 256 MB Video card AGP
-Sound Blaster... Basic upgrade PCI
-4 port USB 2.0 PCI

Operating Software
-Windows XP Pro SP2
-AVG Free antivirus
-Windows Firewall
-Spyware Doctor 5.0 anti spyware

Please, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Ryan

pcfool

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: my computer is slowly dying piece by piece
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:37:23 PM »
    . First thing that happened is I got a runtime error, followed by the computer shutting down never to get past the windows main screen with non stop scrolling.

Ryan, did this problem still happen, if yes pls try take out the RAM and reseat it back to the slot, may be not proper seated. else can take it out and put back the old ram.

Then it restarted and I got the cannot boot insert boot disk message. I did this, the computer then told me that there was no hard drive in the system to load on.

can you tell me what exacly you do when you the computer told you to insert boot disk? this happen possible your hard disk crash cos by pc shut down during loading windows.

take out the battery off the motherboard for 5 minutes and replace, then restart. Did that, now all that fires up is the power supply nothing on the motherboard including processor and fans. So now nothing is functioning, well except the power supply
    not sure what happen here, if cpu fan not running and you don't know what you are doing, better seek help from someone pro.

Gizmo73

Intermediate

• We do only what we are meant to do
      « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 07:55:23 PM »
      Double check and make sure everything is seated back properly. Was the battery set back properly? Is the CPU fan the only sign of life the PC is giving? Is the hard drive light or any other light flashing?

Gizmo73

frankyrydell

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:41:28 AM »
      hey thanks for responding,

. First thing that happened is I got a runtime error, followed by the computer shutting down never to get past the windows main screen with non stop scrolling.

Ryan, did this problem still happen, if yes pls try take out the RAM and reseat it back to the slot, may be not proper seated. else can take it out and put back the old ram.

Then it restarted and I got the cannot boot insert boot disk message. I did this, the computer then told me that there was no hard drive in the system to load on.

can you tell me what exacly you do when you the computer told you to insert boot disk? this happen possible your hard disk crash cos by pc shut down during loading windows.

take out the battery off the motherboard for 5 minutes and replace, then restart. Did that, now all that fires up is the power supply nothing on the motherboard including processor and fans. So now nothing is functioning, well except the power supply
      not sure what happen here, if cpu fan not running and you don't know what you are doing, better seek help from someone pro.

I never actually took out the 512, just added another RAM, the actual one that came with the system. After the runtime error I did take the other RAM out.

When I got the boot disk message I tried putting in a boot disk, it started its process, when I got to the option I tried both options, repair existing, and new install, neither option could find any hard drive and system restarted on its own. This is when I resorted to the whole battery removal idea I read about, it said that this would act the same as jumping, and would reactivate the HD. This is when everything stopped reacting and has now left me with no options.

Double check and make sure everything is seated back properly. Was the battery set back properly? Is the CPU fan the only sign of life the PC is giving? Is the hard drive light or any other light flashing?

Gizmo73

CPU fan is running, and motherboard light is on, just no activity on the the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and I am sure nothing in PCI slots. The hard drive light is not flashing, just staying the solid orange. Another thing that is absent is the beep when turning on the machine.

I have double and triple checked every connection on the MB and to other devices, everything is solid.

Hope some of this might give more insight in this frustrating problem. Thanks again!

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
        « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 10:06:20 AM »

what is the model spec of the Micron millenia computer?

many of the early made units were very restricted in what memory can be fitted look here

http://www.memoryx.net/mimiseme.html

for the model then check out what the maximum memory is

Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

dirtmaster88

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:07:10 AM »
        Sounds to me like your hard drive failed. When you boot up does it beep and say "Strike F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup utility"?

Open the case up when the computer is off, then turn it on. Listen to the hard drive and see if it is spinning. I had 2 computers that had this problem happen in the same day. The last thing I thought of was having 2 hard drives die at the same time. Seemed kind of odd to me that 2 drives just fail out of the blue at once but I guess it can still happen!