Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is my hardware Vista Compatible?  (Read 4905 times)

john7435

Is my hardware Vista Compatible?
« on: June 28, 2007, 07:45:28 PM »
hello.
I am getting a custom computer soon. these are the specs for this computer:
(ATTACHED)

is this computer Windows Vista: Home Premium compatible?
if so, how well will it run?...i was planning on doing the upgrade advisor but if you guys would know it would be easier than waiting

[Saving disk space -  old attachment deleted by admin]

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Is my hardware Vista Compatible?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 09:02:43 PM »
My guess is it will run fine on that hardware but why not go ahead and run Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

What power supply will you be getting with that case?

john7435

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 07:02:27 AM »
im not sure..on the website im getting the case from it doesn't say..how many watts should the power supply be?

TehGerg

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 08:26:35 AM »
It would be compatible you wouldn't want to go with anything less then a 450 watt power supply.

john7435

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 08:27:51 AM »
alright..thanks

also, does anyone know how much i would be able to OVERCLOCK this CPU without having to buy new hardware to prevent overheating and such?

beanhead07

Hopeful
    « Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 08:39:07 AM »
    Yeah, the hardware should be fine, it's the software that you should worry about. I installed Vista on my laptop once and hated it. Nothing I had was compatible with it. But maybe you won't have that problem. :)
    If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 08:41:52 AM »
    If you use a power supply calculator such as http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp to calculate the power required for your system, I believe it's not going to be more than 300Watt.  So, I see no need for a 450Watt power supply.  But, I certainly wouldn't go with less than 350W.   

My question about the power supply was more oriented toward quality, not the power rating.  A cheap 450W PSU may be less dependable than a good quality 350 or 400 W PSU.

soybean

Genius
    « Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 08:48:23 AM »
    It would be compatible you wouldn't want to go with anything less then a 450 watt power supply.
    Sure, it's compatible.  But, he asked, "how well will it run?"  That's why I suggested going ahead and running the upgrade adviser.  Why not get some quantitative indicator?

TehGerg

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 09:05:11 AM »
    you might hit 3.5 ghz on it  I wouldn't try much more the 3.2's are nearly topped out at clock speed for the core.

john7435

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 09:29:05 AM »
    thanks guys...TehGerg...can u give me somewhere where i can learn to overclock it..and your sure it won't make my system overheat or destroy my hardware at 3.5 GHZ?

TehGerg

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 12:40:59 PM »
    you can check out hardocp.com extremeoverclocking.com they are both full of overclocking tips and tricks

As for your power supply i say a 450 watt power supply because if you buy a cheaper power supply it will be rated at 450 watts even though at normal operating temps after it has been running for a while the wattage actaully drops down as it warms up.  So if the power supply is rated at 450 watts at 65 degrees and then it is running at 120 degrees it will be running at well under 450 watts.  If you want to run a system like this on a 350 watt power supply then buy an enermax or something reputable.  If you have a cheap 350 watt power supply running at normal operating temperature and then add another hard drive or cd-rom drive you will be pushing it.  If you want to overclock also you need strong voltage rails on it because if they droop then your computer WILL blue screen and restart.

Would you like any more reasoning for going with a better power supply over a cheap 300 watt?

john7435

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 12:44:02 PM »
    this is the case i'm getting with my computer:
    http://www.cuttingedgecomputers.ca/shopexd.asp?id=1620

i think it says 450W...is that good for overclocking to 3.5?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 03:06:19 PM »
    I would shop for a decent branded PSU and take the PSU out of that case and keep it for a spare...

Here is a good place to start reading up on them.

Since you are getting a decent deal on a new machine make a wise investment in powering and protecting the components with a quality PSU.

To me it's worth it...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "