Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why have I got 2 drives?  (Read 2815 times)

mike84

Topic Starter

Rookie

Why have I got 2 drives?
    « on: June 29, 2007, 09:41:38 AM »
    Hi there!
    I loaded XP sp2 on my old Dell, all ok
    Later my PC got stuck in a loop, auto running the same program and logging me off
    Only option I could think of was to reinstall XP
    I had a bit of trouble because i'm not very experienced
    System is up and running ok BUT
    Q1) in my computer I have Local disc 'D' 76.3 GB total AND
    Local disk 'C' 7.81 Mb total. Why? I only want disc 'C'
    Q2) as drive is 80GB is there not 2GB missing?
    tried messing about with an old ME floppy and FDISK but not experienced enough
    Thankyoul for any help
    Dell Dimension 4100 866/256     

GX44

Hopeful
    • Never Stood A Chance!
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Why have I got 2 drives?
    « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:48:41 AM »
    Sounds like you have somehow partitioned your hard drive into two partitions.

I'd go for another format c: and when you select the partitiion to install Windows on, once you get that far, you can change the partitions into one, rather than 2.
    "Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

The Saviour

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:49:29 AM »
    Dell may have partitioned your drive into two drives...the smaller partitioned drive is probably being used as the recovery image in case you need to recover your system back to its factory settings after a crash.

So...before you go and do what GX44 is recommending...I'd verify that with Dell.

dirtmaster88

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 10:01:21 AM »
    When you go to setup Windows XP, there will probably be 2 or 3 partitions that it reconizes. The first will be the small C:, 2nd D:, and 3rd possibly unpartitioned space. You want to highlight the two current partitions and delete them so the only option listed is unpartitioned space. If you have an 80 GB hard drive, the drive will be seen as 70 some gigs. Every drive is like this as the very first sectors of the drive contain information such as boot loader and contains information about the drive. This cannot be changed.

Of course if you delete the partitions like I said and setup a new windows install on just the 1 partition, you will loose all of your data and information currently on your system. Make sure you have your dell device drivers disk before you start otherwise finding drivers for your computer might be a hassle.

Once you do the above steps, you will have only a c: drive containing windows xp and probably around 70 gb of free space left.

mike84

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 10:17:58 AM »
      Thanks for the help
      I'm going to do what Dirtmaster said

mike84

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 12:21:54 PM »
        Thanks dirtmaster, worked perfectly :)

dirtmaster88

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 01:44:37 PM »
        Glad to hear that everything worked out  8)