Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to view actual hidden files  (Read 3412 times)

myworldforme

Topic Starter

Beginner
    how to view actual hidden files
    « on: June 29, 2007, 06:18:35 PM »
         Well as most of you know, I'm quite the gamer. (and PS to patio and anyone else that knows of my other posts: I got my own pc to game on ^_^) One new game I found sometimes messes up. And the updates (patches) take so long to download and install but mainly download (game: 9draons). And I've looked up downloads for the patches but there is none to be found. Even by the game website.
         So while I was redownloading the patches because it messed up, I noticed the patches are stored as files in the game's folder. But these files are only there temporarily. They just magically disappear =P. So I was thinking it's probably just hidden like a system file you can't access.
         So is there anyway I can access these files and copy them? Like make a backup so I can replace them at anytime when it messes up? I've already backed up all the files I can see but I don't know how to get those files. Please help me someone.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: how to view actual hidden files
      « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 06:30:16 PM »
      Save the patches to your hard drive.

myworldforme

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 07:24:52 AM »
        How would I do that? Like, it downloads the patches by me running the application, then it automatically downloads them.
             Would I go to the folder where I saw the patch files and would I copy and paste them onto my hard drive? Or is there some other way.

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 03:18:01 PM »
          Visit the game website you should be able to download them from there.
          Also check the game website for a help forum or FAQs which may have specific answers for your problem.

myworldforme

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 06:00:37 PM »
            As I've said, there is no patches you can just download from there, you have to download them through the client which I already explained. I've even tried searching google for patches. Does anyone have a suggestion that I can do based on what I've already said?

Jeff in Kabul

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 05:33:10 AM »
            Generally when you download the patches for games you're not asked if you want to install it later. That would allow you to store and share the file with someone else who did not have to connect to the website to get it. "I need this patch" "I have it" is probably a lot faster than "go to the website".

Try this - next time your downloading a game patch or an update when it asks if it's all right to begin installation - before you say yes, go to "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data".

There you should find a folder from the company your downloading from. Inside that folder is your update. Copy it to somewhere else, then allow it to install. After installation - most often - that file will self delete from your application data folder. The one you copied somewhere else can be used again and again.

Hope that helps.