Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: First full computer assembly plagued by random restarts.  (Read 3150 times)

W1CK3D

First full computer assembly plagued by random restarts.
« on: July 01, 2007, 11:03:49 AM »
Hi and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I was recently given a hand me down computer and decided to frankenstein it together with some parts from my old computer. After installing everything I started getting random restarts and STOP errors so I've pulled a lot of the parts and tried everything I can think of and everything I can find in any forum that might help so I decided to post here.

Here's the parts list

New Parts:
ECS GeForce6100SM-M Mobo
Antec TP3-430 Power Supply
H7650 Case

Parts from hand me down:
Amd Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2ghz
Sorry don't know RAM manufacturer but it's 1gb total
Seagate st3200827as 200 GB SATA hard drive

Parts from old computer:
ATI X300 video card

Running Windows XP Pro SP2

After putting everything together the computer wouldn't even recognize my vid card so after awhile I opted to use the x300 since it recognized it. Everytime I would try to install the drivers I would get a zero service display error or something of the sort. Found a lot of info about nvidia chipset boards not taking well to ATI drivers so I uninstalled and ran driver cleaner pro. Everything is running off a fresh install at the moment, on a deep format of the SATA hard drive. Before when the random restarts happened there would be a listing for them in the event viewer...now no such luck. So far everythings been running stable for hours at a time then it randomly restarts again. I thought maybe the cpu was getting too hot so after the last restart I checked it in bios and it was at 40. I also tried some 3rd party vid card drivers thinking maybe the drivers were the problem but it still hangs up. I don't know what else you may need to know the bios was flashed with the most up to date all drivers are up to date otherwise that I know of, and I just have no clue whats causing this.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 02:22:08 PM by W1CK3D »

The Saviour

Re: First computer full computer assembly plagued by random restarts.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
Is the RAM compatible with the board?

Have you run a memory test?

W1CK3D

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 11:25:21 AM »
Ram is compatible about to run windiag just now. Thx for quick reply.

W1CK3D

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 02:18:17 PM »
Ok so I just ran windiag for a little over 4 hours and still all is good with the ram. Any other ideas guys?