Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Secondary Hardrive not reconized.  (Read 2265 times)

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Secondary Hardrive not reconized.
    « on: July 02, 2007, 12:44:20 PM »
    My  son has a dell 4300 with an 80 gb hardrive. He wanted more drive space so I put a 160 GB hardrive in(Western Digital Caviar SE). When it boots up I get a screen that says Secondary drive not reconized, But the primary list both drives. I know I hooked everything up right, Not sure about jumpers. Do you have to have jumpers on both hardrives? I noticed the old 80gb drive has 4 prongs where the jumper go's and the new one has 5. The OS is windows XP,  And I want to make the new Hardrive the Master the old slave if I can do that. By the way, I pressed the F-2 button and turned the hardrives on or to Auto.

jtfitzgerald

Re: Secondary Hardrive not reconized.
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 12:47:20 PM »
    IDE or Sata?

dirtmaster88

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 12:51:40 PM »
    Make the drive with your OS the master (the 80 gb). Your new drive will be the slave. This is done by using the jumpers on the back of the drive. Once you can successfully boot into windows, you will probably have to format the new drive before you can start using it.

Dam1an

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 02:20:19 PM »
    On almost all hard drives there is a legend telling you how to set the jumpers to make one master or slave etc. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 02:23:46 PM »
    The original drive needs to be jumpered Master w/slave present and the new one jumpered as slave.
    The master should be at the end of the ribbon cable with the slave on the middle connector.

As always when working inside the case remove all power sources and take anti-static precautions....
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "