Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no dial tone on modem  (Read 2411 times)

powvey

no dial tone on modem
« on: July 02, 2007, 06:20:01 PM »
I have an HP laptop, and whenever I try to dial up it says there is no dial tone.  I tried unchecking the "wait for dial tone" box.  I sent the computer back to HP for warranty service, and it came back with a note saying they could duplicate the problem and they replaced the system board, but I still can't get it to work.  I am using a business phone line, in which I have to dial a 9 to get an outside line.  I typed a 9 into the appropriate box along with a comma.  Unfortunately, I don't have a plain old home phone line to try it on.

yourfateissealed

Re: no dial tone on modem
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 07:09:07 PM »
have you tried simply adding the "9" before the number to dial the connection.

such as:

9xxx-xxx

Silencer_RPMs

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 12:53:18 AM »
i haven't messed with business lines. but don't u have to press 9 wait a couple seconds and then dial the number? thats probably the problem. sometimes with software you can disable call waiting. I think it dials like * and whatever it is. replace that with 9. so it'll dial 9, wait then dial your number.

GX44

Hopeful
  • Never Stood A Chance!
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 03:56:26 AM »
but don't u have to press 9 wait a couple seconds and then dial the number?

I don't think you need to wait... I don't need to when I dial outside lines from work... I'm in the UK though, no idea if it's different elsewhere.
"Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"