Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP Login Freeze after prank  (Read 3760 times)

Ben Reddington

XP Login Freeze after prank
« on: November 08, 2004, 03:26:01 PM »
ok guys, you've saved me before, see what you can make of this one:

I'm working on a windows XP machine that will no longer reach the login screen on bootup. I'm not sure of the exact cause, but I know what it probably has to do with. My friends were trying to play a prank on someone, and they needed to login to the prankee's computer but didn't know the password. Using a boot diskette and a program called NTFSDOS, they accessed and copied the computer's "SAM" file onto their disk. When the machine was rebooted it loaded through the big XP logo, and then shows a blank black screen with a mouse cursor. It does not show the login screen. The mouse moves and the numlock light works. Any ideas?

merlin_2

Re: XP Login Freeze after prank
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 03:36:57 PM »
reboot pc...and hit the f8 key<safemode>and chose the last good config...

Ben Reddington

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 03:41:23 PM »
We tried that, but to no avail. Same symptoms. On a brighter note, it boots properly in safe mode, but this is of no help to us because we still dont know the password.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 03:45:45 PM »
the passwords are listed in the sam file...are you password cracking...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q314503&ID=KB;EN-US;q314503
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 03:47:27 PM by merlin_2 »

Ben Reddington

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 03:47:30 PM »
That was the plan, but now we just want it to boot properly.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 11:02:50 PM »
Passwords are there for a reason.. If you don't know what you're doing, don't even attempt to?

Joleen

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 05:22:49 AM »
From what I understand, you copied the SAM file?  Can you copy it back to the original location?