Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive?  (Read 4311 times)

tsmith174

Hard Drive?
« on: April 08, 2004, 11:27:43 AM »
When I start my computer, it acts like it is starting up and then nothing happens.  Has my hard drive crashed.  

Detox

Re: Hard Drive?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 11:36:40 AM »
You need to be a little more specific than that.  What do you meen by it acts like starting up?  Is there any sort of display, beeps, noise, smell, etc?  What Operating System?  Computer specs/age/brand/model.  Be more than willing to help you.

Joleen

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 11:38:17 AM »
Do you get a single beep?  How far will the system load (part way into your OS or not even that far)?  Do you get any video at all?  If you go into your bios, can you scan and detect your hard drive?

Wow nice timing Detox
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 11:39:21 AM by Joleen »

tsmith174

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 12:12:51 PM »
It doesn't beep or anything.  I don't know anything about a computer so I can't really be specific.  I don't get anything on my monitor.  When I start the computer it runs for maybe 5 seconds and then nothing happens.  All I know is that it is a Presario and I belive that it has Windows 97 on it.  

tsmith174

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 12:14:24 PM »
Also, it never beeps.

Detox

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 12:33:59 PM »
In such a case without much general knowledge of computer components I would suggest getting a friend who does or seek a pc repair shop that is trustworthy and willing to show you a thing or two.  
This is the basic basics...
 Once the computer is plugged into the wall etc.  electricity is fed into what is called the power supply(you should see a fan/grate in the back of the computer near the power plug), this power supply feeds the juice to the rest of your computer in necessary voltages etc.
 From the moment you press the power button the computer begins the warming/booting up.  Usually first thing displayed on the screen is either the name of the video card or logo of the brand of the pc.  This is presented from a combination of a video card and motherboard during booting.  The fans inside the case will fire up and the CPU will initialize.  
 Your computer seems to stop right before that point... so I would guess that its either a POWER SUPPLY, MOTHERBOARD/MAINBOARD, OR VIDEO CARD.
 After those preocesses take place you should hear a beep once the RAM/Memory initializes a test.  Next will be the motherboards BIOS(brain) will take over, recognizing hard drives, cdroms, etc.  
 Finally the computer will continue to load your Operating System (Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, ME, or XP) from the hard drive.  And bring you finally into the user interface/windows of the computer.  
 The reason I wouldnt dive into replacing the hard drive is simply that the computer hasnt even got to that stage in the booting up.   I hppe I was some assistance.  Let us know an update on your situation.

tsmith174

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 12:53:17 PM »
Thank you.  I just didn't want to go into a computer repair shop and act like an idiot.  They will for sure tell me that they had to replace the most expensive components.  

I was also just kind of curios on what the chances were that my information would still be on the hard drive.

I appreciate your help.    :)  

Detox

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 02:18:34 PM »
Hmmm... good one.  
 If it was a virus that caused something to fry the mother board than the Hard drive could be infected causeing data loss or error.  
 If it was a power surge from power outage/re-onage, the chances are a bit slimmer.  
 If the power supply just gave out your chances are about equal or a bit less to the power surge.
 Good luck--Remember to leave us with updates when you get them. Thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 01:45:51 AM »
    You say the computer acts like it starting then doesn't...
    Does the fan start running and stay running until you turn off the switch ?
    Do you see any leds ( little lites on the case come on )
    they usually are near the on / off selector on the front.
    **this is perhaps a dumb question , but is the monitor connected to the computer?**
    If you don't have a friend with a good working knowledge of puters you should take Detox's advice and take it in to a service shop. Don't ever be afraid of looking like an idiot and asking questions when you dont know something. Asking questions is the best way to learn. The other thing is if you take it in to a shop .....
    tell them not to replace anything unless you tell them to , and insist on getting a price before you let them go ahead. You asked if your information will still be on the hard drive .......the answer to that is yes. If your H/D is damaged and that may not be the case ..........information can be recovered by people that specialize in recovering data from defective hard drives.
    This is not cheap........but again always ask first.
    Remember , you are the customer......they work for you.
    hope this is of some help to you.

dl65   ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

merlin

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 01:29:03 PM »
    on starting pc hit the f8 safe mode key any life..if the hard drive has failed? some of the them can take a long to boot ?it will display some think on the post...<bios splash screen>data can be retrieve>http://www.freestuffwinstuff.com/hddregenerator.htm
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2004, 02:35:11 PM by merlin »