Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: memory error when using windows search function  (Read 2111 times)

AmieM2

memory error when using windows search function
« on: July 06, 2007, 11:47:17 AM »
I am a HelpDesk Tech trying to solve an issue for one of our users... 

Here are the specs:  Dell Latitude D630, Windows XP SP2 and current with updates.  It is a new load of the software.

Here is the issue:  When using Search (Start | Search) the following error pop up:

The title bar says explorer.exe
The instruction at “0x0000000” referenced memory at”0x0000000”.  The memory could not be “read”.
Click on OK terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

The user can open up IE6 and use the search function with in there to search for files or folders on the hard drive.  However, if the search function is left open and IE is closed and reopened then the same error will pop up but with iexplore.exe in the title bar.  The search can be closed with the error opened and then we click OK on the error and everything closes out.  But, once IE is opened again it will work fine and the search function can be used again.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Amie

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 06:49:01 AM by AmieM2 »

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: memory error when using window search function
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:10:04 PM »
I believe the below from Microsoft may be a good lead.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

AmieM2

Re: memory error when using window search function
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 06:45:21 AM »
Thanks Street1, I have done the recommendations in the link you posted, but I am still getting the error when trying to use the search feature.