Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Makes weird whirring noise........Not sure whats going on  (Read 4232 times)

djkorn

Ok, so here is the dilema. I have my computer, a dell dimension B110, and every once in a while, the computer will make this really nasty whirring noise, almost like something is overworking. it kinda sounds like a hard drive that maybe might be writing wrong or something, but i know that when i shut it down and sometimes when i go to boot it up, it will start up again with the whirring noise.

I am not sure if it is a fan that might need to be replaced, or even a hard drive. I leave my computer on a lot, but the most it does in idle is download a few files here and there.

Please someone help me to understand what the heck is gonig on. Again, the whirring noise happens when the computer is running normally for no reason sometimes, and also happens after i shut it down, when it is booting up, before the windows xp screen, first thing, it will start up again, takes a few times of shutting it down and restarting it before it will stop making the noise.

Trinox

Re: Computer Makes weird whirring noise........Not sure whats going on
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 04:58:54 AM »
Hi djkorn,

I have had the same problem you had. I think that the cause of your whirring sound might be the fan that's acting weird. It also could be the harddrive, but I would take a look at the CPU fan first.

You could try this:

1) Open up your sidepanel.
2) Look at the fan that's in the middle of your PC.
3) Don't touch anything that could damage your PC severely.
4) Take a screwdriver, and open up the fan. (Be careful you don't hit or touch anything with your bare hands. Always use a soft small blanket.)
5) If there is dust caked on your CPU, then take a vacuum cleaner and suck everything up. There should NOT be any dust on your CPU.

If the whirring after this still occurs then it's most likely your harddrive.

lostit

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 08:08:03 AM »
 ???  for what it is worth?my win2000 always makes a fast running sound ,after sleep mode,and some other times.thought i read this was normal. good luck anyway     lostit

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 08:59:34 AM »
???  for what it is worth?my win2000 always makes a fast running sound ,after sleep mode,and some other times.thought i read this was normal. good luck anyway     lostit

HuH ? ?

This far from normal...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "