Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: In serious need of assistance  (Read 7775 times)

Trinox

Re: In serious need of assistance
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 08:33:21 AM »
f**k, it just froze during the virus scan. I can't run it in Safe Mode because it freezes there also. What can I do?!
The swearing is not needed

Believe me, you'd swear also if this happened to you.

contrex

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 08:34:31 AM »
Hey, I like really can't see what that word is that's struck out!

Trinox

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 09:00:17 AM »
Maybe I'm exceeding my amount of RAM?

contrex

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 09:05:50 AM »

I am not sure what that means. I wonder if your RAM modules are loose or overheating but it could be 1001 other things.

You have not answered or addressed these points

I am maybe wondering about the RAM, and about overheating, but mainly about the HDD. Does it make a clicking sound? When was it last defragmented, if ever? feel HDD & see if it is hot. Check ide or sata cables for correct connections (with power off!)

Does it happen absolutely at random, or can you predict that it will always do it (say) 20-30 minutes after booting, or when the DVD drive spins up, or when the HDD clicks a lot, or when you open a new program?

Trinox

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 09:54:22 AM »

I am not sure what that means. I wonder if your RAM modules are loose or overheating but it could be 1001 other things.

You have not answered or addressed these points

I am maybe wondering about the RAM, and about overheating, but mainly about the HDD. Does it make a clicking sound? When was it last defragmented, if ever? feel HDD & see if it is hot. Check ide or sata cables for correct connections (with power off!)

Does it happen absolutely at random, or can you predict that it will always do it (say) 20-30 minutes after booting, or when the DVD drive spins up, or when the HDD clicks a lot, or when you open a new program?

It doesn't make a clicking sound. It was last defragmented about 2 weeks ago. I reckon the cables are in its correct places. It really happens at random, I can not predict when it happens. Sometimes after unplugging my main cord for about 30 minutes, I can use the PC for about and hour or 2.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 10:55:09 AM »
"It doesn't make a clicking sound. It was last defragmented about 2 weeks ago. I reckon the cables are in its correct places. It really happens at random, I can not predict when it happens. Sometimes after unplugging my main cord for about 30 minutes, I can use the PC for about and hour or 2."

You have an overheating problem.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

contrex

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 12:07:42 PM »
Inclined to agree, street1. Maybe the cpu, maybe the northbridge.

Trinox

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 01:12:24 PM »
What can I do about it? I never had this problem 'til now.  >:(

contrex

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 01:19:06 PM »
do you know how to find the Event Log?

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer. In the left hand pane, click on "Sytem", and then in the right hand pane look for "error" or "warning" messages.

If you see any that coincide with freezes, or that you are curious about, copy the text and post it here.

Trinox

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 01:46:25 PM »
Hey,

I tried touching the HD, even when the power is on. Been careful, don't worry. :D

It's not hot at all, however, I also touched the power supply and that was quite hot. But yeah, it's 500 Watt so it probably can handle it.

What I noticed on that event log is that I have a large amount of errors. All containing the DCOM source.

[Saving disk space -  old attachment deleted by admin]

contrex

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2007, 01:49:08 PM »
I get lots of them, they don't always mean much.

The Saviour

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2007, 04:37:36 PM »
Maybe this issue has something to do with this issue:

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,38667.0.html

Trinox

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 08:09:03 AM »
I think I fixed my freeze-ups by defragging my disk. My PC has been on since 10AM, and it's 16:08PM now. Without any freeze-ups.