Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! Cant Get Past Boot Up Screen  (Read 3692 times)

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    Help! Cant Get Past Boot Up Screen
    « on: July 07, 2007, 06:57:16 AM »
    I'm on a Toshiba Laptop Satellite a100/Pro A100
    Windows XP home, SP2
    Had this about 7 months, ran great, all of a sudden while surfing the net it went to the blue windows startup screen, and stayed there, rebooted and now when it boots up it wont go past the blue startup screen, tried booting in safe mode but it still hangs on the blue screen....
    Any suggestions? I depend on my laptop for work, I dont understand how this happened out of the blue, there is tons of memory left on it, always scanned for virus's, have.....
    Ad-Aware, Spybot, AntiVir, AVG, PC tools firewall plus....
    Please help!

The Saviour

Re: Help! Cant Get Past Boot Up Screen
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 08:06:30 AM »
    If you have your legitimate Windows XP CD, you can always try to repair your Windows XP installation.

The trouble with doing a repair is that you may, and often will, lose any saved files and/or prgrams.

While the repair process can often help you out of a jam...the drawback is losing all this saved information.  That is why you should back-up constantly...in case something like this happens.

I'm assuming you are using Internet Explorer 7.  Please let us know if this is, in fact, true.

If you do decide to repair your Windows XP installation, please follow the link below for repairing Windows XP SP2 with Internet Explorer 7 installed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 08:20:12 AM »
    If a repair install is done properly all data and programs will remain intact...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
      « Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 08:59:18 AM »
      If you have your legitimate Windows XP CD, you can always try to repair your Windows XP installation.

The trouble with doing a repair is that you may, and often will, lose any saved files and/or prgrams.

While the repair process can often help you out of a jam...the drawback is losing all this saved information.  That is why you should back-up constantly...in case something like this happens.

I'm assuming you are using Internet Explorer 7.  Please let us know if this is, in fact, true.

If you do decide to repair your Windows XP installation, please follow the link below for repairing Windows XP SP2 with Internet Explorer 7 installed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964
      Most of my important stuff is backed up on a external drive, like documents, but all my programs arent, not a huge deal though as I could reinstall those, thats just time consuming....
      I am not using IE 7, been happy with IE 6, and with all the complaints people were having with 7 just stuck with it....

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
        « Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 09:05:25 AM »
        If a repair install is done properly all data and programs will remain intact...
        Hey patio, how you been.... 8)
        I have the install disk, so if I do that it gives you an option to just repair instead of starting from scratch? If it doesnt get past the blue screen how will it read the CD? Tried running another CD but it didnt do anything, but will try....
        My girlfriend just took it to where we bought the laptop to see if they could do anything, its under warrenty but the tech guy isnt in today (of course, being the weekend  ::)), but she thought she would try taking it there anyway, if she doesnt have any luck will try the install CD I gues....

fullbug

Topic Starter

Apprentice
          « Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 10:02:36 AM »
          My girlfriend called from the computer store, they tried to used the Install CD but again it wouldnt get past the blue windows screen, not sure what we could do now....

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 10:52:28 AM »
          Been real well...thanx for asking.
          If it won't get past the BSOD with the install CD you may be having a heat issue.
          If it hasn't left the shop yet find out what they charge to do a thourough cleaning of all the ventilation ports and onboard fans.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "