Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook crashes because of oversize email--can't use it long enough to fix!  (Read 2235 times)

ristretto6

I have Outlook, the version that comes in the Office XP Standard suite.  I sent an email yesterday that must have been too large, because the mailer-daemon response came through and the file size was 51MB!!  This caused Outlook to freeze, and I did "end program" using the task manager, but every time I try to restart Outlook it freezes before I can get any functionality out of it, i.e. to import a previous version of my inbox.pst, or to delete this gargantuan email. 

I already tried copy-and-pasting my backup inbox.pst file (from about 3 days ago, without this killer email inside of it) into the directory where the current inbox.pst is kept but that doesn't seem to change the situation--still when I load Outlook, I can see the pane of my inbox with the From/Subject fields, but the preview pane tries to load and then the entire program freezes.

Is there anything I can do without Outlook being open to fix this?  I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program but there seems to be some imbedded setting somewhere that is holding onto the current (dysfunctional) version of my inbox and not letting me inside long enough to delete this email.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!