Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need a registry fixing tool- not cleaning tool  (Read 5568 times)

keybowvio02

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Need a registry fixing tool- not cleaning tool
    « on: July 07, 2007, 09:03:16 PM »
    EDIT: please scroll down to my 5th post (entitled: UPDATE) to view my current situation.

windows xp sp 2

I have scanned my pc with both adaware, spybot s&d, and Norton IS 2007-  the onlything that any of them turned up were a few tracking cookies, which I promptly deleted.

However, my problem still remains:

If I go to control panel-->add or remove programs--> and then highlight a program, any program, there is no add/remove button.  on any program at all, even ones which I have uninstalled before.

also I have noticed these programs in the list of programs:

App core
    AV
    Bonus
    CC_ccProxyExt
    ccCommon  *note, this is listed twice*
    CCPxyCore
    CIB

I have googled all of these, and turned up no helpful info. as to what they are.  Any ideas? 

Also, I have not installed any programs that I know of since this started to occur, yes I have recently installed a handful of programs, these being:

AutoGK
    DVD decrypter
    Safari web browser

but this was maybe two or three weeks ago, quite a while before I noticed this problem (today).  However, I am not 100% sure that this didn't start occurring immediately after the installation of any of these three programs, as I did not check to make sure that this feature was working properly.

would you like a HJT logfile?
    any ideas???? I really want to uninstall Safari lol
    « Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:46:06 AM by keybowvio02 »

Richenstony

Re: add/remove button in control panel has dissapeared!
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 09:57:14 PM »
    ok heres what i want ya do do download ccleaner from the link i give you run it clean up everything its all pretty easy.....and you will see a part on there for tools click it and you will have a way to unistall programs from there , this is just a simple soultion .....http://www.ccleaner.com/download/

keybowvio02

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 10:38:20 PM »
      thanks for the quick reply

I downloaded and installed ccleaner.  I ran it and cleaned everything up.  Wow! all the stuff it did! 

but ummm... yeh, still have the same problem

what I notived however, is that ccleaner now has the add/remove button- which none of my other programs have.

what I'm thinking now, is that my registry must of some how "skipped a beat" and become corrupted, causing me to lose the add/remove button on the programs that I had installed at the time.

keybowvio02

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 10:40:15 PM »
        the plot thickens:

now that I take a closer look, I think some of my programs are indeed missing from the add/remove program list.  programs like lavasoft adaware se and Mozila firefox and aim 6.0 are not there

Richenstony

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 11:21:36 PM »
        I think i mis-read your post lol im from the uk and extermley tired again sorry....been online to long  ::)

Ok what i would like you to do is run a hijack this check now dont do anything with the program other than install it and scan , once the scan is complete post the full log in the virus section of this fourm and the virus experts will take look , im thinking haveing programs that wherent there before sounds like a infection CBMATT and co will help you out in that department ....

download: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html

Remeber it is is important you dont fix anything once the scan is complete let the pros help you out in the virus section

keybowvio02

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 06:16:17 AM »
          thanks, will do

Richenstony

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 08:20:04 AM »
          thanks, will do
          np , if anyone can tackle a virus they can , if it isnt a VIRUS we will go back to the drawing board and try and solve this one.... :)

keybowvio02

Topic Starter

Beginner
            need a registry fixing tool
            « Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 08:40:58 AM »
            UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

okay, I have cleaned my pc of all infections which were present at the time of my last post!!

as far as the programs that I didn't recognize- we have determined that they are most-likely processes of Norton.

however, my problem still occurs, and was probably not really related to my spyware infestations which were present in my machine before.

I now know that my problem is occuring because the registry keys which point to the change/remove button in the add or remove programs list have been deleted (probably by some malicious program)

So, can anyone reccomend a good registry fixing tool. 

To be more specific with my problem:
            when I go into regedit, I navigate to the following key:

hkey local machine
            software
            microsoft
            windows
            currentversion
            uninstall

and then- none of my programs are listed there except ones which I have installed after noticing this problem (hijack this, ccleaner)

*and since I told you not to read the other posts- windows xp sp 2
            « Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:52:33 AM by keybowvio02 »

Richenstony

Re: Need a registry fixing tool- not cleaning tool
            « Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 09:38:15 AM »
            Give this a whirl http://www.majorgeeks.com/EasyCleaner_d414.html  :) if not i will try and hunt some more for you...ok you could also try this http://www.majorgeeks.com/OleClean_d452.html

Richenstony

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 09:46:44 AM »
            I know there cleaning tools but check 2 see if theres any minor fixing tools on the programs , im pretty sure you have to pay for a tool such as the one you want , well i did any way ;D

keybowvio02

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 10:05:13 AM »
              im pretty sure you have to pay for a tool such as the one you want

I don't mind paying for a program, heck, I'll even go to a computer store to buy it, I just would like a second oppinion as to which one is a good one to buy, especially if I'm going to be plunking down some cash for it.

Also, before I start messing around with these registry cleaning tools, how would I make a copy of the registry, and use the copy that I made? just in case.

keybowvio02

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 10:08:54 AM »
                Another thing, I'm not so sure I want to run those, or anymore reg cleaning tools before I sort out my registry.  because, what if my registry is corrupt in such a way that these tools delete registry entries which are actually neccasary, but just appear not to be necessary because of the current corrupted state of the registry? 

does that make any sense??

Richenstony

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 10:14:21 AM »
                As long as you dont click delete registy or anything like that you will be fine , these programs should just tidy it all up and get read of files that aint in use etc............... 8)

keybowvio02

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 10:21:54 AM »
                  okay thanks, I'll try those.

I was also wondering if a repair install of windows might do the trick, what do you think?

Richenstony

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 11:53:04 AM »
                  Its poss , ive always found that didnt work to well for me , but thats me , give it a go , also make sure you only run one program at a time........ :) ;)