Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Date changes for no reason  (Read 3381 times)

Don Lawless

Date changes for no reason
« on: April 08, 2004, 01:49:01 PM »
Hi.....Occassionaly the date will change on my puter...
It's a random thing 3 maybe 5 times in a year.
The p/c is 2 years old. O/S is Win XP Home. I considered the battery as a possible scource , but discounted as I rarely ever shutdown the computer. I regularly run :
Ad-Aware , Pest Patrol , SpyBot , System Mechanic and WinDoc. ( system runs very smooth) .....I use Norton 2004 A/V and Zone Alarm. I have recently reformatted and done a clean install of Win XP ( including all upgrades). While this problem isn't serious , I would like to know whats causing it .....LOL.
Does anyone have any ideas.
Thanking you all in advance,

dl65    ???

Detox

Re: Date changes for no reason
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 02:13:14 PM »
First is it just a change in date or in time as well?  Is it possible you have the wrong region selected, or dayligt savings time option selected?  On that same note you can set Win to automatically adjust time settings via Internet time settings.  Just double click the time on the task bar and check all the settings.  Other than that I could only suggest a virus that is doing to throw your antvirus off guard.  When the incorrect date is displayed I know my McAfee was messed up and it required a patch.  Let us know updates on situation.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 07:23:10 PM »
    Hi Detox....
    All that changes is the Date....( always 1 day forward)
    the time remains correct. I have checked the settings and they are correct . I have unchecked the automatic
    synchronization with the internet time server. ( we'll see if that has any effect.) Other than that I'm stumped.
    Oh yes and to clarify , I just unchecked the internet time server. As far as a possible virus or trojan the system scans clean.

Cheers ,

dl65     ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

merlin

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 01:24:23 PM »
    Also you can check the time settings in the bios..maybe it needs upgrading