Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video 228PCI-Twin  (Read 4350 times)

kham

Video 228PCI-Twin
« on: June 25, 2007, 11:08:52 AM »
I'm trying to reinstall my video card but I cannot find the drivers. I found the drivers at Nvidia's site, its a GeForce FX 5200. I tried to install the driver from their executable file, but after it extracted everything, it said it could not locate the proper hardware, and closed the set-up. I thought this meant I had to install the card first. So I did, but windows will not load (I assume this is because the driver is not installed properly). Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Thank you.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Video 228PCI-Twin
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:21:34 AM »
You need to have the card in your PC, then boot.
Windows will load generic drivers, cancel out of any installation if you can.
Then install the drivers you downloaded.

kham

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »
When it finishes extracting the drivers and goes into the install shield wizard, the computer restarts every time.

kham

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 04:20:35 PM »
Okay, I found the drivers finally, by chance, so I might try this again. But I have a new concern.

I'm worried that my computer might get too hot with the card installed. I only have two or three fans in it at the moment. The gfx card has a fan attached, but I'm not sure if this is enough air flow; heat may have caused problems in the past.

Just out of curiosity, it seems like it would be much cooler if the removable side of the case were left removed. Is this bad practice?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 03:15:26 AM »
That's usually fine, but most people don't like to do it because of the way it looks.
If you're worried about heat, just monitor your temperatures.
Cooling fans are pretty cheap, so if the temps are high, it's easy to fix.
Hope this helps.

kham

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 07:11:45 PM »
Okay, using the drivers I had for it isn't helping, the computer still restarts on its own when the video card is installed. I cannot install the drivers before it restarts, it usually restarts right before the install wizard can begin.