Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 98 Drivers for Sony DVD-ROM DDU1621  (Read 5382 times)

brian10253

Topic Starter

Starter

Win 98 Drivers for Sony DVD-ROM DDU1621
    « on: July 10, 2007, 11:52:47 PM »
    Operating under Windows 98SE.  Custom built CPU with 256 MB RAM; Intel P4 (Intel x86 Family 15 Model2 Stepping 4).

I installed a Sony DVD-ROM Model DDU 1621.  Can not get Windows to see it.  New hardware wizard does not find it.  I obtained the software CD from Sony, however it will not read from the DVD-ROM.  Tried copying it across the network to the given computer, but it will not install from the hard drive.  Says it must be installed from the optical drive itself.

I solved a similar problem for Win98 SE and USB flash drives by installing native USB drivers.

Are there any such thing out there for DVD-ROM under Win98 SE?  Any suggestions to make Win98 SE see the DVD-ROM would be appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Win 98 Drivers for Sony DVD-ROM DDU1621
    « Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:51:18 AM »
    DVD drives weren't around with Win98 and i doubt Sony bothered to write drivers for it.
    Have you tried the install from a USB thumb drive ? ?

The only other option would be to experiment with some generic CD drivers and trying that. You would need to edit your autoecec.bat and config.sys files to try this. You may be able to do this manually if you are comfortable with the procedure.

Let us know.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

dirtmaster88

Re: Win 98 Drivers for Sony DVD-ROM DDU1621
    « Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 07:28:09 AM »
    You could try making an .iso image of the cd, copy it over the network, then mount it on your windows 98 machine.