Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer crashed... How do I access recovery CDs without Windows?  (Read 4468 times)

Jelx

I was on my desktop and suddenly I got a system error pop up. After pressing OK the system completely froze for a half hour. Without any other way to restart I hard rebooted the computer. Now it takes me to the DOS window where it asks me to start the computer in safe mode, safe w/ networking, safe w/ command prompt, last good configeration, start windows normally, etc... I tried all available options but I get a quick flashing blue screen upon start up and the computer quickly reboots itself. I have some important files that I don't want destroyed, If the computer is inoperable I'd like to somehow retrieve the files and see if I can load them onto one of my flash drives or external hard drive, but I don't know if it's possible.

I have an HP Pavilion that comes with an in-system HP Recovery - usually it helps a lot, but this time it won't load (gives me blue screen when I try accessing it). I also have an Application and Drive Recovery DVD and Windows XP Operating System CD. Unfortunately, though, I can't seem to load either. When I pop them into the drive the computer just ignores them and takes me to the computer safe mode screen.

How do I get the system to load the CDs without Windows? I tried going to BIOs and setting order to CD-ROM first (which I read to do on a site), but the computer hasn't changed anything. If I have to enter DOS to load the CDs then I need to first know how to enter DOS without Windows. Thanks!

Operating System: Windows XP Home
PC: HP Pavilion

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Computer crashed... How do I access recovery CDs without Windows?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »
You are not going to need to load DOS...

When you first start your computer, does it give a key combination for a boot menu?
Usually the key is F10 or F12
Press that key while the BIOS screen is up, and select the CD-ROM drive

What is the error that you are receiving? Is it a STOP error?
Also, what antivirus did you have installed?

Possible causes:
General corruption
Disk Error (power failure)
Virus

Jelx

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 01:20:56 PM »
Error is a bluescreen, it reads:

STOP: 0X00000024 (OX001902F8, OXF89A46FC, OXF89A43FC, 0XF81C18E9)
ntfs.sys - Address F81c18e9 base at F815C000, DateStamp 3b5e36a9

EDIT: I had Zone Alarm Pro anti-virus

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 01:40:49 PM »
I lied... you might have to use DOS
Can someone post a good NTFS compatible DOS system? Or a way to enter it?

Your error message relates to your NTFS file system being damaged. You will need to run the following command:
Chkdsk /r

Jelx

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 02:20:18 PM »
I was able to access the Windows XP cd by pressing "r" during reboot. I checked the repair option and it blue screened. I'm guessing this means I'll have to use the install  option on the cd. I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking the install option is probably a destructive install (meaning it will delete all personal files). I want to try other options before I do that, though, because the files I have are pretty important. I still can't access the data recovery dvd for some reason... like Zylstra said, if anyone knows how to get into DOS it would be greatly appreciated  :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 03:38:02 PM »
Actually if you are looking to retrieve your data you should consider swapping that drive into an XP machine as a slave drive and see if your data is still intact...
If so copy and burn what you need ASAP.
Trying to repair it in the methods you have mentioned will get you further away instead of closer.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jelx

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 04:36:32 PM »
Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with classes. Anybody know any good sites that explain steps on transitioning the primary master drive of one computer into the primary slave drive of another? I'm guessing it isn't too hard (I hope), but I'd like to look through a decent guide.