Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: weird pc  (Read 2457 times)

billh5773

weird pc
« on: July 16, 2007, 05:42:16 AM »
Hi folks.
My pc is doing weird things. I cannot connect to the Internet and some programs will not open on the first or second attempt. The Internet connection is really slow and it sometimes will try to connect when I don't want to.
I did have a message saying something about rundll32.exe error, but I only got it the once. Since then it has not appeared.
I am using Windows XP SP2 with an Athlon AM processor (whatever that means). I hope one of you can help me, because it is driving me ape and the wife swears its all my fault!!

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: weird pc
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 07:38:45 AM »
    Need...more...info...gasp  :P

antivirus & antispyware protection / service packs installed /

when did it start happening / did it ever work right / installed any new software?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

billh5773

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 10:53:41 AM »
    I use AVG and Zone alarm. SP2 installed. It worked okay until I got a virus that I thought had been fixed a couple of weks ago. It was fine for a bit and then this started happening. It worked right about 3 months ago but it is a bit old. I have not installed any new software for a while.
    Hope that's enough for you. I would have put all that before but I am a Luddite when it comes to these things.
    Many thanks
    Bill

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 06:12:59 PM »
      Have you run any antispyware scans?  I'm assuming you're using Zonealarm free.  That is only a firewall. You need to download and run Adaware / Sypbot / AVG Free AntiSpyware for starters.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

billh5773

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 08:22:36 AM »
      The problem looks like it is with my ISP as I can access everything else apart from AOL, even though the machine is slow. I can access the Internet through IE so I will download Spybot later.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 12:47:04 PM »
        billh5773.......
        My pc is doing weird things. I cannot connect to the Internet
        ........ When did this start ?

some programs will not open on the first or second attempt. The Internet connection is really slow and it sometimes will try to connect when I don't want to.
        .......... Which programs will not open on the first attempt?
        Do you have a dial-up connection or broadband?
        It worked okay until I got a virus that I thought had been fixed a couple of weks ago.
        ....... Can you recall the name of the virus your pc was infected with ?

Here's what I would suggest ...........
        Download and install ...... CCleaner....... ( don't install the optional yahoo toolbar)  Get ccleaner at .... http://www.ccleaner.com/    ...... Install it, but don't run it yet.
        Download and install AVG Antispyware ........ ( free version)
        Get it at ..... http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5 
        After it is installed, get the latest updates.  Don't run it yet.

If you don't already have it, D/L Spybot from .......http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html
        once you have it installed, get the latest updates.......... Don't run it yet.

Ok ....... now, open ccleaner and click on the cleaner icon...... ( the brush)
        now click on Run ccleaner ( button is in the lower right corner) when it's finished running ........ click the run cleaner button again and everything that was found will be removed ..... ( ccleaner will not remove anything required by your pc )

Next reboot into safe mode.........

Now run your AVG anti-virus......... if it finds anything, make note of what was found and then remove everything found.

Now while still in safe mode, run AVG Antispyware ........ and again remove anything it finds.
        Now reboot back into Normal mode and report back as to how things are running.

dl65  ::)
        If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.