Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer problem  (Read 2524 times)

theresaturner

Computer problem
« on: July 12, 2007, 10:05:53 AM »
I have a comp. question. I think the where my comp was plugged in got zapped by lightning. I can do certain things, but I can't get to where you can restore to a different day. Is there any way to do that other than thru the control panel? And if I do it will it work? Thanks for any help!!

GX44

Hopeful
  • Never Stood A Chance!
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Computer problem
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 10:14:13 AM »
That depends... Are you sure you created a Restore Point prior to this happening?
"Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

theresaturner

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 10:41:59 AM »
yes, I did a while back. Is there a way to get to it besides going thru the control panel? I can get into the control panel, but can't get to anything in it.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 11:42:48 AM »
Go to safe mode (tap F8 whilst the computer is starting, use the arrow keys to select safe mode, and press enter).
A dialog box will ask you if you want to continue to safe mode or use system restore.
press no, and it will start system restore.
Hope this helps.

Edit: the below will also work.  I rarely use system restore, so I'm sorry for making it unnecessarily complicated.  Try the below method first.

GX44

Hopeful
  • Never Stood A Chance!
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 11:44:06 AM »
Use System Restore

After you've decided to use System Restore to revert your system to a previous state, start the System Restore Wizard and follow the prompts. To use the System Restore Wizard, make sure you're logged on as an administrator, and then follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2. On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

3. On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to and then click Next.

4. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, verify that the correct restore point is chosen, and then close any open programs.

5. Click Next if you are ready to proceed or click Back to change the restore point.

6. The computer will shut down automatically and reboot. On reboot, you'll see the Restoration Complete page, and then click OK.

Is this the way you are doing things?
"Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

theresaturner

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 11:45:37 AM »
I'll try both ideas. The problem is I can get just so far and then it locks up. I'll let ya know if either do the trick.

GX44

Hopeful
  • Never Stood A Chance!
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 12:06:11 PM »
I hardly use System Restore as well... Found that on the M$ knowledge base.

Let us know how it goes  ;D
"Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 01:07:32 PM »
What specifically are you trying to fix?

System Restore will not restore your documents, images, or regular files.