Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't do a repair install  (Read 2500 times)

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    can't do a repair install
    « on: July 11, 2007, 11:42:28 PM »
    ok I got my cousins old dell inspiron 3800 and for some reason it goes to the boot menu. and no matter which option it pops up with a error its blue but i can't read it, its only up for a second. I tried to do a repair install from here but when i press "R" nothing happens  ??? and i don't know how to use the recovery console ( i know noob). So any ideas guys? no rush on the return tomorrow Ill see if there is any important information on the computer, if not Ill just dump and reinstall.

unlovedwarrior

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: can't do a repair install
      « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 07:50:12 AM »
      Have you tried SafeMode yet?  If that doesn't work then I'd save the data & reformat.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 08:04:45 AM »
        i tried all of them and i can't get to the data because it restart right before xp finishes loading

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
          « Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 08:36:53 AM »
            I would think your options are fading,  open the case and check that every thing is connected  and clean out any dust bunnies from fans etc. make sure the ram is firmly seated in the slots

you could install onto another master hard drive then rescue any data after you install the old drive as a slave drive. If there is nothing you want from the drive, then down load SwissKnife reformat or let XP format the drive and do a full install. then goto the Dell web site and download the drivers for that particular model and then install them.
          web site, troubleshooting, drivers, technical reports, manuals etc
          http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?k=inspiron%2B3800&rf=all&cat=prod&s=gen&c=us&l=en&subcat=&evl=
          Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 08:48:50 AM »
            ill see today after work if she has anything important on there

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 03:51:35 PM »
            The first time it asks you to hit R is to enter the Recovery Console...this is not where you want to be to do a repair install.

Repair Install of XP

This is by far the best set of instructions i have used.

I suggest reading through at least once to become familiar with the steps and then printing out a reference copy before starting.

Good Luck.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 07:31:42 PM »
              i didnt go to the recovery console.. ill try that and get back to you