Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to log on - Domain "computername" not available  (Read 5220 times)

leozeo

Unable to log on - Domain "computername" not available
« on: July 15, 2007, 09:32:54 AM »
Help!
I have a DELL desktop with Windows XP Home edition. All was well and everytime I switched on it started and showed me my desktop. That was until yesterday when suddenly I was faced with my user name and a password box! As I have not set up a password I pressed return and received the following message.
"The system cannot log you in now because the domain "computername" is not available"
I have since been able to login using the safe mode with networking but despite repeated attempts I am unable to do so normally. Tried setting up a new user but that doesn't help. Also did the chkdsk/f to fix any errors but again no joy. 
I am a novice and really could do with some help.
Thanks

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Unable to log on - Domain "computername" not available
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 07:49:01 AM »
    Does anyone else use the computer / any new profiles other than yours / tried doing a restore to an earlier date then running AV & AS scans?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

leozeo

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:43:44 AM »
    Yes I restored to two previous checkpoints but to no avail. I have also run virus software, spam software as well but without joy.
    The PC is only for my personal use - no other users. It has automated updates for windows and spycatcher.
    I have also tried changing the computer name but again the same message comes up indicating the new name.
    Jay

leozeo

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 06:56:19 AM »
    Any more suggestions from anyone please?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 07:48:23 AM »
      Check the Event Viewer and post the Event ID

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

leozeo

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 07:49:50 PM »
      This is where it all started.
      system error
      source W32Time
      category none
      Event 46

Hope this helps with the analysis.
      Once again thanks for the time and trouble you are taking.

leozeo

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 06:23:08 AM »
      Here is some more about errors on my PC if it helps pinpoint the problem for any of you good people out there.

13 July 2007 W32Time The time service encountered an error and was forced to shut down. The error was: 0x800706D5  
      13 July 2007 W32Time The time service encountered an error and was forced to shut down. The error was: 0x800706D5  
      13 July 2007 DCOM DCOM got error "%1084" attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server: {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B 1D0-00805FC1270E}  
      13 July 2007 DCOM DCOM got error "%1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B 726-00C04FB926AF}