Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bad Drive? Virus? Whats going on with my machine!  (Read 2222 times)

macaroons

Bad Drive? Virus? Whats going on with my machine!
« on: July 16, 2007, 03:57:42 PM »
My computer crashed a couple weeks back, tech said due to viruses, and now I have AVG, Zone Alarm and Ad Ware.  I scan my system 3 to 4 times a day.   Ad Ware crashed, computer froze.  I tryed to restart it, came back in 1 hour and it was still stuck, so I shut it down manually. (I pressed and held power button)    Now when I turn it on it tells me my windows profile may be corrupt, and that it cannot find it, then it gives me a temporary desktop, which I cannot make permanant  changes to.  My music files are gone from my program Renoise, but all programs I installed are here....Is my computer going to die?  While searching for my music I saw one of my VST files get passed, so I know it's still here!  Are my files still salvagable even though I cannot see them?  Grateful for any help!

Window XP Home edition

Intel celeron D

Roger
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 04:11:32 PM by macaroons »

bigone

Re: Bad Drive? Virus? Whats going on with my machine!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 04:59:03 PM »
Sounds very much like a problem I solved recently when a Pentium processor was not seated correctly with the heatsink/fan causing freeze ups and other problems. This happened soon after my friend let their supposed 'guru' fiddle with their system. Re-seated processor with thermal grease-end of problem. Not saying this is your problem but check out all your hardware thoroughly.

macaroons

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 05:04:16 PM »
Thankyou, will do

bigone

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 05:19:07 PM »
One more thought-you may want to do a XP Repair if all your hardware checks out ok. The XP Home Edition has that neet little 'repair' utility on the CD which leaves all your files intact and rebuilds and repairs any Windows stuff that is out of whack.
I had to do this on my own machine recently and it works like magic. Are you familiar with the process?

macaroons

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 05:24:09 PM »
well I don't have any disks for the system, I bought the computer off a person....

Is there anywhere I can find it for d/l on the net? 

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 05:33:39 PM »
    You can but you wont find any help with that here since it's illegal.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

bigone

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 05:36:25 PM »
    Well now, you have a problem! You will need an XP Home disc. Either upgrade or full edition. I used an upgrade to accomplish my repair.I'm not sure if a borrowed one would work or not but it's worth a try. Here are the instructions on how to do a "REPAIR ONLY".

Go to the following site for complete instructions on how to do the repair.

http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658

macaroons

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 05:58:19 PM »
    Thanyou deerpark, had a feeling.  I somehow came upon an HP version of what your talking about, but I'm sure that will be of no use...... But I do remember my fan buzzing incredibly loud the first time it crashed, since then it has been really quiet....