Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 11259 times)

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
    Re: New Computer
    « Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 06:26:30 PM »
    I on the other hand have heard of a lot of problems with Dells and with all other major brands for that matter. Both HP and Dell was part of the major laptop battery recall for example. When you sell computers in the quantities Dell, HP, etc. does there's bound to be people with problems.
    Deerpark, all the batteries that were recalled were Sony batteries, not Dell or HP batteries. I'm sure these brands trusted Sony for their batteries. So that whole incident was really Sony's fault; not Dell's, not HP's.

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 06:31:48 PM »
      You can use that argument for most PC problems then. Most of the hardware in both Dell and HP computers aren't manufactured by them either. Is it their fault then if it malfunctions?
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Computer_Hopeless

Beginner

• Plz pm me if you know how to transparentize this.
        « Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »
        I'd say so, If you're selling it, no matter where you got it from, it represents you. If McDonalds bought horrible tasting and diseased potatoes, you can bet everyone would see it as their fault, no the farmers.
        "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
                         - Mahatma Gandhi

"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem."
                         - Josef Stalin

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 07:34:37 PM »
        If McDonalds bought them, they bare the responsibility.  If the potatoes were "horrible tasting and diseased", McDonalds should have determined that by inspection before buying them or, it not then, before serving them.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
          « Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 07:47:30 PM »
          However, I haven't had any hardware trouble with Dell. And it's not that easy to test batteries. All other hardware can be easily tested for conflics.

Computer_Hopeless

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 08:23:06 PM »
            My point exactly. The farmers lose credibility with only the potato purchasers, not the recipients of the fries (the end product). The potato purchasers have the responsibility to buy good potatoes so as to not reflect badly on their own company, and should avoid farmers know to have a bad crop. However, if the pad potato farmers have a good crop the next year, the company can buy the potatoes and reflect well upon themselves.

Wow, talk about a tangent... We started off discussing what laptop would be the best buy, now we are talking of buying potatoes.
                             - Mahatma Gandhi

- Josef Stalin

beanhead07

Hopeful
              « Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 08:27:21 PM »
              Scooterpickleman, I agree with you full heartedly... I'm a fellow Mac-hater myself, always have been, but for graphics and stuff I must admit that they are better than PC. *shudders* I can't believe I heard myself say that. :) lol
              If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

simshi993052

Beginner

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 01:37:58 AM »
                Forget the laptop for a $1000 dollars you can build a pretty decent desktop
                i would not recomend Vista
                101010101010101010101010101010101101010 101010110101010101010101010101010101010 101010101010101010101010101010101010101 010101010101010101010101010101010101010
                                                                       ON or OFF ??

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                  • Yes
                • Certifications: List
                • Computer: Specs
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 03:44:14 AM »
                I have to say I agree with the Mac views, they're very overpriced and a PC can do just as good a job with graphics nowadays.
                Forget the laptop for a $1000 dollars you can build a pretty decent desktop
                i would not recomend Vista
                Yes . . . read the first post and you will see they want a laptop.
                I also recommend a desktop, but if you want mobility, like the OP, you can't lug a desktop around because it hasn't got a battery and it's a bit large and heavy.

As for the other discussion, all manufacturers will have problems if you listen to everyone.
                That would be why you "have heard of a lot of problems with Dells and with all other major brands for that matter."
                The vocal minority are the people who have had problems, you don't usually see an entire website devoted to praising a company but you often see one dedicated to flaming them because of a few negative experiences.
                Taking the McDonalds analogy, if your friend has a bad chip, do you stay away for life and scream about how bad they are?
                Personally, I don't.

Computer_Hopeless

Beginner

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 09:46:58 AM »
                  Yeah, after that finger incident, Wendy's still sells chili (I rather like it, in fact). No one really talks about it any more, and their chili is good and finger-free.

I have yet to hear a good thing about Vista, so I too would warn you away from it. Unless you consider bugs and the like a good thing, in which case I've heard plenty of good things.

If you want portability but a desktop sound appealing, I have an idea. You could get a cart, load it with your PC and a diesel engine, and there you have it, both portable (take the elevator, not the stairs) and cheap (until the price of all that gasoline builds up). By using a biofuel (such as used vegetable oil that restaurants will give you free or even pay you to take), you can avoid this extra cost. I would suggest a tarp or the like for outside travel, and a way to hitch it on to the back of your vehicle for road trips.

BENEFITS OF VEGETABLE OIL POWERED DESKTOP PC
                  • Free power source
                  • Portability
                  • More cost efficient than a laptop
                  • Improved health, strength, and stamina from lugging around the heavy cart.

DISCLAIMER
                  I am not to be held responsible for any damage resulting from anyone actually trying this. I mean, hey, if you break your legs from having your computer/engine/cart roll over you when you are going down hill, that's your fault. Isn't it sad that our society has come to this? Writing a disclaimer to an idea so I don't get sued... Wow.
                                   - Mahatma Gandhi

- Josef Stalin

DeltaSlaya

Apprentice
                  • Google
                    « Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 03:25:44 PM »
                    I on the other hand have heard of a lot of problems with Dells and with all other major brands for that matter. Both HP and Dell was part of the major laptop battery recall for example. When you sell computers in the quantities Dell, HP, etc. does there's bound to be people with problems.

Sony was the ones who made those batteries.
                    System specs:
                    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (up to 3.3 stock V and air)
                    ASUS Striker Extreme
                    XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
                    2x 1gB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
                    Seagate Barracuda 320gB SATA
                    Raidmax Ninja 918 (520W ATXV2.0 PSU)
                    -

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
                      « Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 03:32:09 PM »
                      Yeah, after that finger incident, Wendy's still sells chili (I rather like it, in fact). No one really talks about it any more, and their chili is good and finger-free.

I have yet to hear a good thing about Vista, so I too would warn you away from it. Unless you consider bugs and the like a good thing, in which case I've heard plenty of good things.

If you want portability but a desktop sound appealing, I have an idea. You could get a cart, load it with your PC and a diesel engine, and there you have it, both portable (take the elevator, not the stairs) and cheap (until the price of all that gasoline builds up). By using a biofuel (such as used vegetable oil that restaurants will give you free or even pay you to take), you can avoid this extra cost. I would suggest a tarp or the like for outside travel, and a way to hitch it on to the back of your vehicle for road trips.

BENEFITS OF VEGETABLE OIL POWERED DESKTOP PC
                      • Free power source
                      • Portability
                      • More cost efficient than a laptop
                      • Improved health, strength, and stamina from lugging around the heavy cart.
                      Great idea! That'll be the next computer I get! ;D

DISCLAIMER
                      I am not to be held responsible for any damage resulting from anyone actually trying this. I mean, hey, if you break your legs from having your computer/engine/cart roll over you when you are going down hill, that's your fault. Isn't it sad that our society has come to this? Writing a disclaimer to an idea so I don't get sued... Wow.
                      So true! I'd better create a disclaimer for me soon.....

Deerpark

Egghead
                        « Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 03:41:37 PM »

Sony was the ones who made those batteries.
                        Yeah I'm aware of that... you should read the posts after mine for the full discussion. My only point was that theres always going to be people with bad experience with a particular brand, these are usually a very tiny, very vocal, minority.
                        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        • Experience: Beginner
                        « Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 09:36:49 AM »
                        Who wants fries ? ?

::)
                        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Hopeless

Beginner

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2007, 05:28:39 PM »
                          I sure could go for some, lugging around my desktop has me really worn out.  ;)
                                           - Mahatma Gandhi

- Josef Stalin