Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Flight Sim. Locks Up after 2-3 hours......Memory?  (Read 4759 times)

KylanW

Flight Sim. Locks Up after 2-3 hours......Memory?
« on: July 19, 2007, 01:02:51 PM »
Hello, new to these forums. i am a part of the Flight Sim community and have come here because it seems you guys know what you guys are talking about  ;)

Ok, so im am a hard core Flight Simmer..... I have many programs i have purchased to help make the experience more realistic... i run a soft ware aircraft called Level-D, it is a 767-300ER, it takes alot of system resources to generate, i also run an online Module in the game to help connect to the online community called VATSIM..... however, ive been having a constant problem....usually my computer is absolutely fine.... i get 60-70 FPS (which is great for the plane i fly) and great runtime..... however after about 2-3 maybe 4 hours of a flight, the computer has this weird "Hickup".... the bottom of the screen freezes... its about 1 Centimeter tall and spans the entire length of the screen....... Picture Below:

As you can see at the bottom of the screen, there is a stuck bar, no shortly after this photo was take, as allways, the computer locked up, i tried to click the "Close" Button at the top of the screen..... it just does the old windows "Beep". so i immediately minimize it to avoid having to completely reset the computer...... i try to close it by right clicking on the icon below, so if im lucky, it will close....... and thats it, i need to restart the computer, and then it will work for another 2-3 maybe 4 hours......

VERY WEIRD  ???

So, here is my system:

SYSTEM:

-OPS: Windows XP Home Edition
-Model: Completely Custom Assembled by me
-Processor: Current=1.86 L2 E6300
-Video Card: Current=nVidea 7600GS
-Mother Bourd: ASUS P5N-E SLI (not using sli right now)
-Power Supply: 550 Watt. Thermaltake
-Hardrive: 160GB (manufacturer names starts with S, cant remember)
-Memory: 2 Sticks 512 (to get 4 sticks 512) 1024 total
-Monitors: 1 19" LCD, 18 Mili-Second refresh Rate, DVI, Acer Screen
1 CRT 17" Dell VGA Monitor

Notes:

i run dual monitors....

NEVER Freezes when on desktop or on single player (not online)

Only freezes when running Squawk Box 3

When flying, i usually have 400,000 Available Memory of my Physical Memory

My PF Usage usually isnt an issue, stays within 600-850

Fixes:

Drivers for my Motherboard and Video card, would that be a good try

Get another GB of memory to add to my current 1 GB

Thank you for your time, sorry for all this information, i just found it usually helps......

Once Again, Thank You  ;) :D

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Flight Sim. Locks Up after 2-3 hours......Memory?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:16:24 PM »
Download, unzip, and burn this to a CD, using the "image burn" or "burn saved project" or similar option in your burning software.
Put it in your PC's CD drive and boot from it, run the test for a few hours and make sure there are no errors.

Also, update your graphics drivers by following this page of a guide to first do a complete uninstall and then a fresh install of your drivers.

Try those and then get back to us, did either help?

KylanW

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 05:33:57 PM »
Ok, i updated my ASUS nForce Motherboard Driver and my nVidea 7600GS Video Driver.....

Now, im going to go ahead and run this Prime95 program...... Im going to run it as im asleep......

Thanks again, will get back to you tomorrow  8) ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 12:06:20 AM by KylanW »

KylanW

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 01:27:09 AM »
Ok, i have installed all Video Drivers...... i have run Prime95 for the past 3 hours, and will run i for th next 3 hours, so far, i am here:

I did the Torture Test that Puts the Memory under the most Pressure (i think it was the last one before custom in the Prime95 Torture Test drop down task bar)

Ok, are there any computer Memory cleaners that would help me out?? like CCleaner for Memory?????

Ok, will get back to you  ;) :D

KylanW

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 02:31:07 AM »

After 2 hours, I will now test the simulator to see if it has any problems, will get back to you  8) :D

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 03:31:51 AM »
Ok, are there any computer Memory cleaners that would help me out?? like CCleaner for Memory?Huh??
No, I don't think there are and I don't think it would be possible either.
Did you run Memtest yet?

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 05:16:09 AM »
    Your memory is cleared every time you shutdown your computer so there wouldn't be any point in a memory cleaner. You really should follow Calums advice and try memtest86. It is the program for discovering memory problems.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

KylanW

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 12:10:04 PM »
    No, i will run it, thanks guys  :)

robit

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 10:20:11 AM »
      OK - First you do know that Flight Sim does not like third party ad-on's.... But I think you should get 1 or two Corcair 1gb Mod's and stop using the 512mg's.....(DO'NT MIX)  I had a simular problem a few months ago  and went to 4X 1gb mod's....no problems since.....also check all your settings -maybe lower the senery and see what happens....good luck.
      It's not how much you know, It's how little you talk about it.