Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Limewire problem...can't remove!  (Read 4176 times)

edncaroline

Limewire problem...can't remove!
« on: July 19, 2007, 09:02:07 PM »
My Limewire icon is always in the start-up tray at the bottom right corner of my monitor. Left or right clicking on my mouse has no result. I uninstalled Limewire but the icon is still in the start-up tray. Cntrl, Alt, Del shows nothing is running & I went to Start, Run, Msconfig, Start-up to keep it from starting when I start but it doesn't show Limewire on the start-up.Everything I try to do with reinstalling Limewire fails because it sees the program running & says to close it before installing but I can't.
Please help!
Thanks

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    Re: Limewire problem...can't remove!
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 06:12:34 AM »
    unfortunately Limewire also install all sorts of software with it which also must be removed, I am sorry it is heavy going but it works:-
    Open the LimeWire folder.
    Open the folder UninstallerData.
    Double click the Uninstall LimeWire icon (or something similar).
    Follow the on screen prompts to uninstall the program.
    Go to C:\Program Files and delete the LimeWire folder.

Set a System Restore Point, to prevent trouble if you make a mistake.
    Go to Start, Run, type regedit in the box, and hit Enter.
    At the top of the Registry Editor window, click on File, and then Export. In the Export range panel (at the bottom), click All, give the file a name, and then Save your registry as a backup to a location where you will be able to locate it easily if necessary.

Go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. If you find the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\limeshop, delete it and reboot the machine immediately.

Remove these registry items (if present) with RegEdit:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\internet explorer\menuext\limeshop preferences
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\menuorder\start menu\programs\limewire
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer\userdata\s-1-5-18\components\9e11dbbf317d89b4f92af7d63ab22d26
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer\userdata\s-1-5-18\components\a8cebe6cec02c7d40a450c6455a6ad2e
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer\userdata\s-1-5-18\components\c0da82cffcfbb79419d1189c955ee262
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\limeshop
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\bet.url
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\bonzi.url
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\browserpage.dll
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limeshop.exe
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limeshop.html
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limeshop.url
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limewire.exe
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\limewire.jar
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\money.url
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\shareddlls\c:\program files\limewire\2.9.8\root\magnet10\options.js
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\limeshop.xml
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall\limewire
    HKEY_USERS\s-1-5-21-725345543-1078145449-1343024091-500\software\microsoft\internet explorer\menuext\limeshop preferences
    HKEY_USERS\s-1-5-21-725345543-1078145449-1343024091-500\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\menuorder\start menu\programs\limewire
    Exit Regedit.

Remove these directories (if present) with Windows Explorer:
    commonprograms+\limewire
    programfilesdir+\limeshop
    programfilesdir+\limewire

That should do it!
    Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.