Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Random Lock Ups  (Read 5949 times)

touchstone57

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Re: Random Lock Ups
    « Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 01:49:03 PM »
    MagicISO.

But I still cant find a "boot option" on my motherboard so....

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 02:04:04 PM »
    Boot priority, or similar - put the CD drive at the top.

touchstone57

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 03:33:23 AM »
      So, I managed to boot from the Memtest CD.

I did the test (took longer than I expected) and it concluded that there where no errors.

So now we get back to the original problem, why it was freezing up.

What you mentioned about RAM was interesting. When I was first putting my computer together, I had 3 memory modules inserted, 1 x 1GB, 1 x 512MB, 1 X 256MB. But for some reason my motherboard was only registering 256MB inserted. I swapped the memory modules into different places, and now it only registered 512MB inserted. I kept switching around and eventually it registered  1.5GB inserted, but no matter what I did it wouldn't register the 256MB so I took it out.

Also when I was playing around with the setting using the AI booster (tuning software) I increased the voltage to the RAM and the CPU and the computer crashed straight the way!

Another note. Usually if I leave my computer on for an hour while leaving it (to download or something) when I get back to if after a while, I open up a program and then it freezes.

Tge

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 03:43:38 AM »
      Remove all non-essential usb connected devices and try again .
      Largest memory module should always be in memory bank 0 , always .

Download avgfree , install , then update .

Run full system scan , and report back .

touchstone57

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 07:50:40 AM »
        I didn't know the memory banks where numbered. Where is the first memory bank, first left or far right?

Anyway, this does not explain why it keeps freezing up??

Fed

• Sage
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 03:10:30 PM »
          After a motherboard change I'd format the drive and do a clean install of Windows without hesitation.
          I get the feeling you will be plagued with problems if you dont.

Richenstony

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 03:36:34 PM »
          After a motherboard change I'd format the drive and do a clean install of Windows without hesitation.
          I get the feeling you will be plagued with problems if you dont.
          Cheers for that information fed that actually helped me figure something out as well.... i don't think i actually re-formated mine....  ;) thanks Tony :)

touchstone57

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 04:39:10 AM »
            Well, I thought I might have to do a fresh install when I first got it, but Windows was working fine (unlike the last time built a computer).

I would like to, but theres tons of stuff that cant be replaced. I have a lot of college work on here. Also I have a lot of software for work that I got free from the college, but you are only allowed one download per package.

However, I did find a weird sort of solution to my problem. I noticed a pattern, my computer only ever froze up if I left it for a length of time, it never froze up while I was using it. So I downloaded a program called autoclicker, I then left it to click every 10 seconds, and left it on my desktop, so that it would keep clicking.

I left it for a few hours and came back to it (still clicking) and it never froze up! So as long as it's active it doesn't freeze up....