Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer's -still- dead, have done replacements.  (Read 4213 times)

windexian

Computer's -still- dead, have done replacements.
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:14:47 AM »
I've hit a wall with my computer; here's a post from the past on a different site:

So, about a month ago an awful smell filled my room, and when I figured out it was my computer (heh), I obviously tried to shut it down; get this, the computer died while my cursor was MID-FLIGHT to the start menu! Anyways, the heatsink was ridiculously hot, like, nearly-burn-my-fingers hot. Hoping it wasn't the processor, I ordered a new heatsink/fan. Didn't fix it. Ordered a processor (old one was an Athlon XP 2700, new one is an Athlon XP 2700), made sure I was static-free, and put it in, attached the new heatsink/fan, and it still isn't turning on. It doesn't even start!

When I hit the power switch, the CPU fan 'twitches', as if it receives some sort of power for half a second, but then doesn't go any further. My roommate tried a voltage meter with the power supply, and it reads very similarly to what the CPU fan appears to do; it gets a very small read for a fraction of a second and then stops, so it seems like there's at least electricity getting to the power supply. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance...

And since then, I've made replacements, which led me to this post:

Okay, so I have an update. I bought a new motherboard, replaced the old one, bought a new PSU just in case, meaning at this point I've now replaced my motherboard, power supply, heatsink & CPU fan, and the CPU. Tonight I hooked everything up to the new motherboard, and get this, the SAME THING HAPPENED! Er, that is, the CPU fan turned on for a quarter of a second, and stopped turning, i.e. nothing powered on. It's the same thing that happened w/ the first motherboard before I replaced ANYTHING. What do I do?!?! Quite a rush of anxiety here, heh...

Which leads me to (a less anxiety-ridden question), "Any suggestions on what the problem is without having to spend so much more $$??"  Obviously if something needs replacing I'll have to do that, but I'd be interested in getting a more firm diagnosis before dishing out money.  Thanks kindly in advance!

beanhead07

Hopeful
    Re: Computer's -still- dead, have done replacements.
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:56:02 AM »
    Reseat the memory to make sure it's in there good. I worked on a computer here at work just the other day that wouldn't start at all and the memory wasn't set very well. Sounds like you've done just about everything else.
    If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
      Bad memory could possibly also cause this problem. If you got two sticks of ram in the machine try taking one of them out. If you only got one, then try to get a hold of a known good one.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

windexian

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »
      I have two sticks, 512k each, so I tried each one in each slot separately and then together again, still no luck, although when I did that the cpu fan interestingly spun for about half a second instead of a quarter of second (or whatever), heh.  Any other thoughts??

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 05:30:47 AM »
        There is the possibility that both sticks are fried. Or that you've been so unlucky that one of your new components are defect.
        It sounds like you've tried all other options.
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

beanhead07

Hopeful
          « Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 09:03:49 AM »
          Try running a memory test just to be sure that the memory modules are ok. Other than that you sound like you've exhausted your options.
          If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 09:14:31 AM »
          I would do a bench test on those components...it's possibly shorting out to the case.
          Remove everything from the case...i use a rubber mat for this procedure but cardboard will do.
          Place the MBoard on the cardboard and hook up only the following:
          1 stick of RAM
          Vid Card
          Mouse
          Keyboard
          CPU
          PSU
          Monitor

Try to boot and listen for any beep codes.
          If successful add one component at a time til you find the culprit.

When re-assembling into the case after you've finished remember to be sure to use the MBoard standoffs...they're available at any parts store.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

windexian

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 02:27:33 PM »
          Interesting idea w/ the bench test.  I tried it out, and same thing happened, fan turns on for a quarter of a second and stops.  No beeps, no nothing.  Any thoughts?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 03:53:05 PM »
          Swap out the PSU...
          Did you remember the thermal paste ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

windexian

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 05:37:29 PM »
          In my original post, I mentioned that I've already replaced the PSU with a brand new one.  Please read it - new PSU, heatsink/fan, motherboard, & CPU.  Yep, thermal paste is on the heatsink.