Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Add or Remove Programs panel shows two versions of Firefox  (Read 4641 times)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Add or Remove Programs panel shows two versions of Firefox
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:23:22 AM »
Hey guys, my panel shows version 2.0.0.3 and 2.0.0.5, which I just installed yesterday.  Can I remove version 2.0.0.3?  What will happen if I do that?

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Add or Remove Programs panel shows two versions of Firefox
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 10:34:17 AM »
    According to this thread you shouldn't uninstall it. Just use CCleaner to remove the 2.0.0.3 entry.
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=241413

EDIT:
    This thread seems to agree that uninstalling 2.0.0.3 wouldn't be a good idea.
    http://www.webuser.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/355108/an/0/page/0
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
    « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 11:08:32 AM »
    Thanks for those links.  They do seem to indicate that uninstalling 2.0.0.3 wouldn't be a good idea.

So, that's different from the way Sun's Java works.  If you update it and an older version is still in the Add or Remove Programs panel, that older version can be removed. 

I wonder if Add or Remove Programs panel will accumulate more of these Firefox entries when additional updates are installed.  I realize CCleaner could be used to remove the entry from Add or Remove Programs panel.  I guess the underlying question is whether there's actually wasted disk space due to un-needed older program files remaining in the system or is it basically a glitch in Firefox installation procedure that is leaving the older version still in Add or Remove Programs panel.

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:30:42 AM »
      From what I've read it's a glitch in the install procedure that fails to remove the old entry in add/remove.
      Assuming that the newer FF got installed to the same directory as your old one, I don't think you have to worry about extra files taking up disk space, since both versions use the same files. If this wasn't the case the 2.0.0.3 uninstaller wouldn't remove the newer install.

Personally this have never happened to me so I don't think you need to be overly worried about FF entries accumulating in Add/Remove.

Btw. personally I've always hated the way Java updates. Each install takes up 70+ MB, so if you got auto update on and don't uninstall the previous versions they can easily take up a lot of disk space.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
      « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 01:19:10 PM »
      I'm brave; I zapped it with regedit, one of the ways mentioned at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=554091

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 11:25:45 AM »
      You could also use MozBack to backup your profiles and do a clean install of the newest version...this is how i got rid of it.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "