Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Generating a "CSR" in WindowsXP  (Read 5206 times)

dotty

Generating a "CSR" in WindowsXP
« on: July 21, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
 >:(  Hi to all,

I am trying to generate a "CSR" in windowsxp.  Having been working on this all week.  Have downloaded tutorials from microsoft,  but not working.  Seems i get to the "services and Application" section, but can not move on to "internet information services". I have a standard service pack2, so I don't know if I'm not doing the right thing, or I having a broken link.  HELP

Anodoin

Intermediate

Re: Generating a "CSR" in WindowsXP
    « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 07:11:47 PM »
    Have you already installed IIS?

dotty

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 08:15:03 PM »
    Anodoin
     Thanks for the quick reply.  I quess I overlooked that one.  OK, we cleared that up.   I just went to tne MS site.  Which one do I download?
    Dotty

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 02:41:49 PM »
      If you have the XP installation cd (not a recovery disk that came from the manufacturer), you can install it from the control panel via Add & Remove Programs, under the Add Windows Components section.

dotty

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 06:02:25 PM »
      Hi,

Iv'e done a little research, and I understand that IIS is not do-able with Windows XP Home Edition.  So, need a total upgrade now.  Any suggestions?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 06:18:42 PM »
      Have you tried the below site ?

http://adamv.com/dev/articles/iis-on-xp-home.
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

dotty

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 06:40:32 PM »
      No, but I just clicked the link and went there.  Just looking at that installation guide makes me want to go out on a binge. Ha  The author does say if you are running a web site, which I'm trying to do, that I probaly should have Pro or 2003.  So, now to compare what each offers to what I need .  And then the final factor COST. Any suggestions?

Thanks

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 10:18:34 AM »
      I hope I'm not the only person wondering, what is CSR?  Google yields lots of links that clearly don't fit the situation here.   So, what is it?

Also, the basic issue seems to be implied rather than clearly stated in the original post.  You want to host a website on your PC, right?  If so, why not just say that?  And, that's why you want IIS?

Rather than upgrade your OS, have you considered just hosting your website the usual way, by using a hosting service?  You might look at 110mb for free hosting - a few of the ComputerHope forum members use it - or use a commercial hosting service, which can cost a little as $4/mo or less.