Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: msconfig Start Tab HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer…  (Read 4574 times)

foxygrandma

I have Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600), a Dell Inc. Dimension 4700.   Also have IE6, SP2.

In the Start Tab, in msconfig, there is an item, under the column heading Location, called HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer…

There is nothing listed under the Colum headings Startup Item and Command.   It is not checked, as I unchecked it.

How may I find out what this is?

I highlighted it, pressed  CTRL and + key at far right side of keyboard and it should tell me what it is.  But it did not, as all it showed was a steady blue line, and at the end of the line the same shows:    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer…

I did a search for it and came up with this:    Dumprep is used in conjunction with memory dumps, and is not needed at  startup. If you want to disable it, the safest way is by rt-clicking My  Computer>Properties>Advanced tab, click the Settings button under the  Startup & Recovery section. In the bottom pane under "Write debugging  information, click on the down arrow and select "none".

None is already selected.    How may I find out what this is and how to get it out of msconfig, Startup?   Thanks much.

Anodoin

Intermediate

Re: msconfig Start Tab HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVer…
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 02:49:24 PM »
    The only way to get it out of there would be to delete it from your registry, which I wouldn't really recommend.  If it's disabled, it's not affecting your performance.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 02:54:01 PM »
    It should not be removed as it is a Windows system process...
    Chances are even if you were able to remove it it would resurface the next time you re-booted.
    Best to let sleeping dogs lie.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

foxygrandma

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:27:37 PM »
    The only way to get it out of there would be to delete it from your registry, which I wouldn't really recommend.  If it's disabled, it's not affecting your performance.

Thank you.  I will let it be. :)

foxygrandma

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 10:35:19 PM »

Thank you.  I will let it be. :)
    It should not be removed as it is a Windows system process...
    Chances are even if you were able to remove it it would resurface the next time you re-booted.
    Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Thank you much.   I will let sleeping dogs lie. :)   I think I may have answered in the wrong box, not sure. :-[