Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MAJOR graphics screw up  (Read 7893 times)

Mooge

MAJOR graphics screw up
« on: July 22, 2007, 06:05:29 PM »
On most every game I play I've been having this really bad problem. I start to play the game and then after a few minutes (or seconds) the game freezes, then goes black, then comes back to the game. It does this 3 times and on the 3rd time after it goes black it returns to the desktop and you can't open the game up again unless you restart the computer. Also on occasions the game will have this glitch where a bunch of flashing  squares go on the screen in a sort of checkered pattern. Here's a picture of what that looks like: (sorry if the image doesn't show up)

So far it's happened on Rose Online, World of Warcraft, SilkRoad (occasionally), Warrock, and Black and White.

Sometimes it will leave these messages:

I have a Sony Vaio and use Windows XP Media Center Edition.
My graphics card is a Radeon X800 series.
I have a Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
3.00 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM.
I just read that off my system information so I'm not quite sure what all of that means...(I'm not very computer smart :-\)

I had someone from Geek Squad come and try and fix it but he claimed he knew nothing about games so he couldn't fix it...

I have a pretty nice computer so I'm pretty sure my computer meets the system requirements with no problems.

If anyone has had similar problems and got them fixed please tell me how you did it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 06:32:28 PM by Mooge »

beanhead07

Hopeful
    Re: MAJOR graphics screw up
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 07:01:49 PM »
    Make sure you have the most recent drivers for your video card. You can download them from ATI's website. Hope it all works out for you!
    If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

Richenstony

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 03:53:00 AM »
    well there are a few things you can do:

Open your computer and make sure your graphics card port or pci-express port isn't dusty and also while your in there make sure its seated correctly and at all times be saw you are protected from static ....... you also need to make sure as it is said above you have the correct drivers.... but my theory is , uninstall everything  and start from fresh , now install the correct drivers http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html << from there after that..... restart when prompt ... and the rest is common sense go into bios in and out of the boot ..... right click my computer , hit manage and there devices ...... again look for display adapters its all common sense, after you ahve done that expand it and make sure your device is working properly.... i will continue if you come back online  .... :-\

Mooge

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 08:25:48 AM »
    I know how to open up my computer but I'm afraid that I'm gonna screw something up. Can you tell me how the parts should be set up?

I checked all my drivers in my computer. Do you want me to unistall everything?

Is there a specific driver that could be causing this problem?

Also how do you know if a part is overheated?
    « Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 08:59:48 AM by Mooge »

Richenstony

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 10:14:09 AM »
    Ok basically you need to locate your graphics card 1st ...... HERES A PICTURE OF WHERE IT WILL BE
    now when your unscrewing it be extra careful and try not to use magnetic screw drivers......now once you have un-screwed it , pull your graphics card out of the slot check for dust and clean the dust if any , next stick it back into the slot it came out from ........ don't press to hard but you also have to be firm you will here a click to know if it has gone in ok.....again thats common sense ..... once you don't that , uninstall all your graphic card drivers and then reinstall them , you will see on the site i gave a list of options choose your correct setup and follow it to your latest driver downloads ..... and then restart when prompt i do recommend you use a anti-static wrist strap , and make sure your not on the couch when doing this you need to be on a hard plastic or wooden surface to prevent elector-static build up .... if none of this works you may have a issue with the graphics card itself...

Mooge

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 12:27:46 PM »
    what if I uninstalled my graphics card and then reinstalled it? Oh and how exactly do I uninstall it and then reinstall it?

Richenstony

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 12:58:51 PM »
    Ok before you uninstall your display adapters make sure you take the step of taking your graphics card out 1st and check for dust and make sure you seat it correctly, then go into add and remove programs and you will see your current radeon drivers click uninstall after you have checked your graphics card for dust and it has been seat correctly..

Richenstony

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 01:05:01 PM »
    Its up 2 how to run your tests im just giving some advice ........... im thinking of all the ways to make sure your graphics card is working properly , i personally think , you have the incorrect drivers installed but this is precaution , taking in and out of your machine cold prove to be good if it is dust and if it is not seated correctly .......... but if you want you can download the latest drivers from that site there all on there just use your head and you will find them ....

Richenstony

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 01:07:05 PM »
    Or i will just get them for you to save time ....... ::)

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/mce/radeonx-mce.html

in the link above is the ati catalyst center as well as the latest display drivers

Mooge

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 01:13:49 PM »
    Well I opened up my computer case and saw the graphics card but it looks almost impossible to unscrew unless I were to take a few other things out which I really dont want to try. I could see some dust collecting on it and wiped off what I could reach but I didn't get much. Is it possible that the card has over heated? It was pretty *censored* hot when I touched it.

Oh and I downloaded that first driver already so I have the latest one. Do I need to download the second option too?

Richenstony

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 01:31:12 PM »
    If its really hot thats not a good sigh , you can monitor the core levels with the catalyst center im not sure how because i use Geforce   , try and run a game now and see what happens .... let me know if you still have the same issue , you might have to look at taking your cards levels down a peg or 2 im not sure if can be done as i only know how to overclock.... but like i said play a game and have a look.

Mooge

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 01:40:31 PM »
    Well, I haven't uninstalled the driver yet but I tried World of Warcraft and it screwed up.

I'm guessing that my card has over heated or that there is too much dust on it. That's the only thing I can really think of that could be wrong with it.

I think I'm just gonna try reinstalling everything. Can you tell me the exact steps for uninstalling the drivers? I still don't know exactly what to do.

Richenstony

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 01:53:04 PM »
    Ok

uninstalling drivers

.Take a trip to control panel and click add and remove programs
    .locate your drivers in add and remove programs  as well as the ATI catalyst center
    .click uninstall or remove
    .then reboot when prompt
    .Then travel to the last link i gave you and install all of 2 programs which are (ATI catalyst and your   display drivers)
    .Then you will need to reboot again

Plan B (SAME AS ABOVE BUT DIFFERENT METHOD)

.Right click my computer and click mange computer management should come up
    .Now on the left hand side you will see a device manger part of the list click it
    .Now you will see a whole bunch of icons click display adapters (Expand the +)
    .Now you will see your graphics card double left click it
    .you device properties will come up and you will notice some tabs above
    .click drivers
    .click uninstall at the very bottom
    .success you have removed your drivers

Again travel to the last link i posted it has your latest radeon drivers , if this fails i suggest taking your card and get it looked at by a pro theres not much i can do from here as i cant see it but it really seems like its overheating.

Gluck let me know how this works out

Tony  ;)

Also take this into consideration im not to sure how long this has been doing this before , but like i said overheating isn't a good thing at all , its best you do remove your graphics card asap and get a replacement in case it fully burns out .....  ;)

Mooge

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 01:59:02 PM »
    Okay I'll try both of these. You've been a real help. I'll post what happens.

Mooge

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 02:16:01 PM »
    Okay I've come to the conclusion that my graphics card has overheated. I'll have to get that looked at. Thanks for your help.  ;)

Richenstony

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 02:19:36 PM »
    n.p At least you know how to take out your drivers now ;D............... try and get a Geforce if you can  if you do need to get a new graphics card...

Mooge

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 07:47:58 PM »
    Is a Geforce better than a Radeon?

Richenstony

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 07:51:48 PM »
    Well geforce as they say in nvidia its that way games are meant to be played  ;)

I personally think Geforce is better i had to put up with a smelly radeon 9200 yuk , go with geforce , i think there the best.... and there cards look great....there nofing like Geforce performance....

Mooge

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 08:05:15 PM »
    Well I'm gonna take my computer into bestbuy and hopefully they'll recommend getting a new one so I can get a Geforce.

Do you think my graphics card meets the requirements to play World of Warcraft? It's the X800. I think it's pretty good but I'm not quite sure.

Richenstony

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 08:07:48 PM »
    well heres the system requirements to play world of war craft :     

Windows98/ME/2000/XP
        * 800 MHz or higher CPU
        * 256 MB RAM
        * 32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware transform and lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better
        * 4 GB or more of available hard drive space
        * DirectX® 9.0c or above
        * A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection

Mooge

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 08:09:53 PM »
    I'm petty sure I meet those requirements...hmm where would I find my sytem specs?

Richenstony

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 08:13:22 PM »
    well........you have you got go into control panel and click system it will come up with it all in there.....

Mooge

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 08:23:38 PM »
    well it didn't say everything but I'm pretty sure I meet the requirements. I have like 1 GB of RAM, like 3 GHz, Direct 9 X, the X800 is supposed to be pretty good according to this thing: http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx800/index.html, and I think I have about 4 GB of space on my hard drive...

Well I don know. I guess I'll find out what's wrong when I take it in for a check up. Anyways thanks for the help. You reply so fast lol. I'll post what was wrong when I find out. That could be in a week or so.

Thanks again,
                          ~Mooge  ;)

Richenstony

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 08:31:07 PM »
    NP LOL also i think you should try and get a extra gb of ram.......... it could change your whole gaming experience or it could just make it a tad bit faster lol but its always good...... ;) Gluck

srtony1946

Apprentice

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 01:23:22 PM »
      I have a ATI grafics card, I noticed when I installed it that It had a fan connected to it. Your fan may be malfunctioning. Just an idea.