Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wiped Hard Drive .... Now what?  (Read 4274 times)

GLB07

Topic Starter

Rookie

Wiped Hard Drive .... Now what?
    « on: July 22, 2007, 06:37:23 PM »
    I just wiped my hard drive completely after moving my files ... I want to start over with a fresh install of Windows XP but when I load it from an external cd drive it says "No operating system". What do i do?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Wiped Hard Drive .... Now what?
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 07:20:18 PM »
    Do you have an internal CD/DVD drive ? ?
    If so try it in that...if not you may need one if your system doesn't support booting to a USB device.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GLB07

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 07:44:32 PM »
      no its a laptop ... i gotta extra battery instead of a internal drive so my external drive is my only source

mundesley

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 10:09:10 AM »
      You will need to check your BIOS to see if it supports booting from a USB device, if so set it to do so and load your Windows CD from there.

If not, and if your HDD had a hidden restore partition, you may not have wiped it off, so you may be able to restore your OS from there.

hootie1

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 12:05:33 PM »
      I have the same problem except I also wiped the drivers for my PCMCIA slots so my external CD drive doesn't work.I have been trying to get help at PCMech.com but the answers I got assume I speak DOS so  they are over my head. I got an adapter (IDE) so Icould hook the hard drive up to my desktop but it didn't come with any instructions so the first time I tried it I wiped the hard drive on my desktop too. Well I fixed the problem with my desktop but no luck with the laptop drive. I am going to follow your progress hope we can get our laptops up and running.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 03:20:17 PM »
      XP will not boot from an external drive without a whole heck of alot of tweaking and goofing around...not for the faint of heart.

Hootie it's best to start your own topic even though the situation is similar so it can recieve the proper attention...
      « Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:44:09 PM by patio »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "